Author Topic: Nurse Rose Farrell 540 North Circular Road  (Read 5301 times)

Offline Gerryk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nurse Rose Farrell 540 North Circular Road
« on: Friday 03 November 17 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Does anyone have any information on Nurse Rose Farrell, who ran a private nursing home for expectant mothers at 540 North Circular Road in the early 1900s? Anybody know where her records would be, if they were kept?
Many thanks
Gerry Kane
Kane, Cleary, Kennedy, Flynn,

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nurse Rose Farrell 540 North Circular Road
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 November 17 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Sadly there are several threads of a similar nature to this on RootsChat.
Nurse Farrell gets mentioned in this quite extensive one about the search for records
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=553471.0
I haven't read it all but there may be something usefull.

Offline jakethecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 August 18 21:38 BST (UK) »
 I was born in 1953 in 24 Ormond Road and then transferred to 540 North Circular Road for 8 months and was legally adoped after that.  Would love to know how many babies nurse Farrell held at 540 North Circular Road and where these records are.

Offline Gerryk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 August 18 22:07 BST (UK) »
Not sure I can be of much help to you. I was interested in a boy born there in 1936. I have since found out that when Nurse Farrell registered the birth, the mother’s surname was given incorrectly. It has taken us a long time to unearth the truth. The boy was baptised in the Pro-Catherdal.
I failed to trace Rose Farrell’s records. She died in June 1969, and is buried in Glasnevin.

Offline jakethecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 August 18 22:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gerryk
 I have info about birth mother but agency cunamh cannot divulge all info they hold. Very frustrating,..

Offline Gerryk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 August 18 22:29 BST (UK) »
Don’t give up.
But, I don’t think nurse Farrell is a useful line to follow. I think there were many such small, privately-run nursing homes in Dublin at the time. And they were not well regulated.
Have you tried DNA testing on one of the reputable sites? I find it safe, and the result remains completely within your control. You can also choose who to contact and who not to. But it will open up all sorts of possibilities for you, showing who you are related to on both sides of your family.
Don’t give up!
Gerry.

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 15:25 BST (UK) »
Would this nurse need to be registered to be a practising nurse. Maybe records would give more details of how many years she had been a nurse, where she trained, perhaps her dob & where in Ireland she came from. Guess this info could give a clearer idea of her background.
Good luck hunting as they say the Truth is out there.
It's all the trees that get in the way
Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland

Offline DPlatt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 January 19 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, sorry I know I'm late to this conversation but we've searched for years to find my dads family but always hitting a dead end so we came to the realisation that the names on the birth cert of his mother & father are wrong (Kate Dempsey & Patrick Murphy) and the address of dwelling is 540 North Circular Road so I'm gathering by this thread that he was born in this clinic of Nurse Rose Farrell.  Has anyone got any further with tracing or is it as someone already mentioned better to go down the DNA testing.  Sadly my father passed away a while ago but we would still like to try and find something - also his birth certificate does not have his name on it - its just blank - I'm going to try and get that changed - its all so frustrating and very sad.  Thanks

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 February 19 14:00 GMT (UK) »
It's extremely frustrating when you feel your banging your head against a brick wall. Keep going don't stop asking question. I can't tell you how many times lv been told ,you have been given all we have'
Then a couple of years on ask again and suddenly there is some more info. So sorry I'm going on but it is frustrating .I

Now I'm thinking this nurse can't have run the home on her own. I wonder if certain Doctors would attend, other professional s as well as clearners. There must be a footprint somewhere.

What about the nearest church they may have detail?

If all the little ones were adopted from there what about social services they must have something l thought legal requirements was to hold care files for 75ys or 100?

I don't do F/B but have you considered setting a page about this home - you may get some contact.

My final thought and I'm guessing you maybe done this, get details of this nurse  by finding out who paid for her burial, could it be a member of her family.
Undertakes keep their records for years.
Good Luck
Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland