Author Topic: 1596 bap at Hanney  (Read 1097 times)

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1596 bap at Hanney
« on: Friday 03 November 17 15:41 GMT (UK) »
I know that strictly speaking the parish falls under old BRK but I'd greatly appreciate it if the volunteers of the OFHS helpdesk might be able to give assistance with this. 

It concerns a bap on 17th Oct 1596 in the Hanney PR, which is evidently pretty difficult to read and BTs for the period don't exist for comparison.

OXF-WAN01 has the child's name as Wyllym but no surname or father's name.
IGI has an unnamed child of Rychard NUMEN.

Given the fact that different sources have come up with "William" and "Richard" (I can't explain Numen!) is there any possibility it might read "William DARLING son of Richard"?  I know that frequently I can't make any sense of the squiggles on the page, then when someone tells me what it says, it's so obvious I wonder how I couldn't have seen it at the outset.  I'm not saying I'm expecting it to read thus - if you see something different which isn't William or Richard, then do tell because that could break down someone else's brick wall - but I live in hope.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1596 bap at Hanney
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 November 17 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Jane,

All I can say is from the fiche for Hanney the entry just reads; 17-10-1596   --------- Wyllim

Not much help i'm afraid. I looked both sides of 1596 to see if it lead anywhere but unfortunately no pattern came forth;

Thes are some of the baptisms;
1592 22-8    Oyneon  Edmund                   ]
1593 15-5    Daustan  Wyllym                    ]
1593 25-12  Tub Humfrey                          ]
1595 10-8    Harye Olief         d/o              ]   all sons or daus. of Wyllym
1596 21-12  Onyeon Robart                       ]
1596 26-12  Robyns Wyllym                      ]
1598  ?-6     Tub  Jane            d/o             ]
1598 28-12    "   Frances        d/o              ]
1599 18-11  Dunstone Robart                    ]

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 November 17 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alan, I'm presuming that the fiche is of PR images rather than a transcription and since you see the same in the squiggles as the official OFHS transcript, that it's the same source as was used for that OXF-WAN01 transcript.

Given that it's fiche, the master will presumably have been created many moons ago.  The fact that the IGI says something different makes me think that the IGI transcript was based on a different master, perhaps another fiche or film or maybe the original document.

From what I've read on the RC BRK forum I don't think the Record Office at Reading currently have any funding to create a new set of "masters".  I'm not sure they allow Joe Public to inspect the original registers when as far as they're concerned there's a perfectly adequate set of fiche, but I'll email them to find out the current situation.

I too looked for patterns - children of Rychard for instance (wouldn't have been terribly helpful as I don't have any siblings for "my" William but it could set me off on another wild goose chase tangent) - and the best I could come up with was that it seemed to be the only occurrence of NUMEN/NEWMAN for quite a number of years.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 November 17 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Jane,

Sorry to say the fiche is from a type written transcription I bought from the OFHS some years ago.

I should have made it clear but forgot when doing my reply.

I haven't looked on the IGI but suspect you're right in saying they may have used a different master.

The Berks records office used to allow the public to view the original registers years ago; I know as I went there many times in the evenings when I lived nearby.

No idea what the present arrangements are.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk