Author Topic: Help with an DFM source please  (Read 928 times)

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help with an DFM source please
« on: Friday 03 November 17 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with pointing me in the right direction to find out about recipients of the DFM please.

I have tried the site Traces of War but that is far from complete and only seems to deal with up to WW11.

I have one that appears to have been awarded during the Korean War as the medal has the Queens head on.

Thanks
Salty

KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with an DFM source please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 November 17 16:40 GMT (UK) »
I don't know of a consolidated list (someone might) but each individual award was published in the London Gazette.  A trawl of 1950-1953 awards shows up only 29 DFM awards including some Australian ones. Does that help?

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices/notice?end-publish-date=1953-01-01&text=distinguished+flying+medal&start-publish-date=1950-01-01&location-distance-1=1&service=all-notices&categorycode-all=all&numberOfLocationSearches=1&results-page-size=10

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 November 17 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you MaxD I will do a trawl and see if the name is there.

Salty
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.

Offline AncestryPete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 November 17 17:06 GMT (UK) »
A genuine named DFM with the Queen Elizabeth obverse is very rare indeed as stated above. There are several books which list the 6000 recipients of the DFM from 1918-date, possibly the most useful for your purposes would be by Ian Tavender who was a serious researcher and collector. Copies are usually available on Amazon.

If the recipient named on the edge of the medal can be proven to be deceased (over 25 years) then you will be able to apply to the Ministry of Defence for a copy of his records of service and that will give you the squadrons he served with and may also include the citation giving details of the act(s) of bravery.

It may be worth writing to the RAF Museum Hendon and enquiring if they hold any details of the serviceman, they very often do for recipients of gallantry awards, especially 1939 onwards.

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 November 17 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Pete and Max.

I have gone through the Gazette several times and am unable to find the name I was looking for. It is for a friend whose father was in the RAF and even he (Friend) was not certain whether the medal was awarded to his dad or not. I do not believe there is a name engraved but I will certainly check that now. I thought that from WW11 on they did not do that.

Many thanks again.
Salty
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 November 17 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Post or PM the name you have and I will check my sources.

Ross
Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.

Offline AncestryPete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 November 17 11:05 GMT (UK) »
DFM's were always awarded named to British and most allied airmen.

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 November 17 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Post or PM the name you have and I will check my sources.

Ross

Have PMd you.
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock