Author Topic: Frank Elliott: Gateshead, foundling, Elliott's of Birtley  (Read 7427 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Elliott: Gateshead, foundling, Elliott's of Birtley
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 November 17 22:28 GMT (UK) »
I believe he is Elliott on every census and died as Elliott, but married as Taylor.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GINLOVER

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 November 17 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for the messages  :)

This is what I found regarding the Taylor/Elliott surname (should have put with original posting, sorry):

"My great grandfather was indeed a foundling.  He was left on the doorstep of a family named Taylor in Gateshead with a tag around his neck which read: 'My name is Frank Elliott.  Please look after me.'"

The source that I found it on was this website: http://www.selectsurnames2.com/elliott.html

I know from my Great Aunt who is still alive, and my mother too, that he was part of the musical Elliott's of Birtley.

Thank you for finding his wife's maiden name, Ridley. It does seem he married as a Taylor!

p.s I'm in Canada with an 8hour time difference so will be on here at odd times!

Offline GINLOVER

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 November 17 00:44 GMT (UK) »
If he was a foundling with only a name tag, saying his name was "Frank Elliot", how do you know he was related to the "Elliots of Birtley, musical family?" I find it a little odd that a child left on someone's doorstep would have been named?

If his given name was Frank you also might like to consider searching for him as "Frances".

What is the source for the information you have about Frank being a foundling?

Unless he was named in a will as illegitmate son of said Lord, I'm not sure if it will be possible to prove that story. I think lots of stories were concocted to cover illegitimacy - and often family stories tend to play up this kind of thing. It sounds mrore acceptable to say an illegitimate ancestor was a product of the local Gentry and a servant than the product of a roll in the hay with a farm boy. (Though of course both are possible.  ;):) It could be worth investigating DNA testing.

It could also be worth considering that Frank was the child of the Taylors, but for some reason changed his surname to Elliot?

These are just a few thoughts from a superficial reading of your question, and without looking further into the family, so may or may not be relevant.  :)

DNA testing has crossed my mind a few times over recent weeks. The name told to me was Ravensworth, which I know is the Liddell's thanks to Google  ;)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 November 17 11:10 GMT (UK) »
This is what I found regarding the Taylor/Elliott surname (should have put with original posting, sorry):

"My great grandfather was indeed a foundling.  He was left on the doorstep of a family named Taylor in Gateshead with a tag around his neck which read: 'My name is Frank Elliott.  Please look after me.'"

The source that I found it on was this website: http://www.selectsurnames2.com/elliott.html

That site has a contact address  http://www.selectsurnames2.com/feedback.html.  Have you tried contacting the site owner to see if he can put you in touch with the descendant who says that, to see what information she may (or may not ) have? I'm not disputing what she is saying but 'family lore' though it may have started off with a grain of truth, oft repeated has a tendency to be embellished over the years.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 November 17 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Had a firkle and found the following 'possible' newspaper report for his death:

Shields Daily Gazette 27 June 1903
page 5, col 6

DEATH OF MR FRANK ELLIOTT - The death took place yesterday at Birtley, of Mr Frank Elliott, a well-known Durham miner. Mr Elliott was born at Breckon Beds, near Low Fell Railway Station, and commenced work in the pit before he was ten years of age. Though robbed of the present day facilities for securing a good education, he found opportunities for schooling himself in the three “R’s”, and upon attaining manhood he was regarded as a leader amongst his fellows, being warmly appreciated for the fine intelligence, honesty, and straightforwardness he ever displayed in anything that affected their interests in the mining industry. Deceased was a skilful miner, and that he had a thorough knowledge of his craft was early demonstrated by his appointment as master shifter at Springwell colliery where he remained nine years. Subsequently he acted in a similar capacity at Harraton, one of Lord Durham’s collieries for 27 years. Four years ago, he went to live in well earned retirement at Birtley with his son, where his death occurred yesterday at the age of 72, after a fortnight’s illness. He leaves five daughters and four sons, all of whom are married.

Boo

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 November 17 12:06 GMT (UK) »
He married as Taylor it seems

Francis Taylor
Marriage date   25 Oct 1851
Marriage place   Gateshead, Durham
Spouse Margaret Ridley
Record set   England Marriages 1538-1973

Cas

It would be interesting to know who he says his father is.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 November 17 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Mr Elliott was born at Breckon Beds, near Low Fell Railway Station,

Just adding a link to show the the location  :)
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=54.9320&lon=-1.6077&layers=6&right=BingHyb
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 November 17 13:15 GMT (UK) »
I know from my Great Aunt who is still alive, and my mother too, that he was part of the musical Elliott's of Birtley.

Thank you for finding his wife's maiden name, Ridley. It does seem he married as a Taylor!

There is a book about this family http://www.mustrad.org.uk/reviews/elliotts.htm
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 November 17 15:20 GMT (UK) »
A very interesting and quite moving film about Jack, Frank's grandson is on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4EkHL_zUms

Boo