Author Topic: Charles Matthews born 1856 in Gloucestershire lived in Cape Town SA  (Read 808 times)

Offline jaelma

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Matthews born 1856 in Gloucestershire lived in Cape Town SA
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 November 17 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jorose, I have now accessed all the documents. I am going to copy our conversation and send to a cousin for her views and comments.

I had Charles' birth as 1856 rather than 1855. There is record of his birth on the database registered in Sep 1856. I have also been told by family information that he was baptized on March 9th 1857.

I wonder why Emma calls herself Emily although on her tombstone we revert to Emma.

Interesting to see there is a daughter named Emily. If I've read it correctly married to John William Turner.

Is there any possibility of finding the marriage of Charles and his wife Emily. Sorry no surname known. If the first child is born 1882 , then the marriage might be just prior to this.

We think Emily (senior) survived after her husband's death and although visited Canada returned to SA.

Let me again say a great big thank you. I shall study all the material over the next few days. Maybe speak again.
Jacob
Matthews
Cormie
DeBasagoiti