Author Topic: McLarens in Govan  (Read 904 times)

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McLarens in Govan
« on: Sunday 05 November 17 03:55 GMT (UK) »
My ancestors Douglas McLaren and Christina/Christian Campbell married in 1841 in Govan.  They had John 1841,  Alexander (1843) and James (1850) in Govan, and two other children Jane and Daniel in Manchester.

I've found the names of the children on census records and I printed the death record for John, but I've never been able to find births for the three Govan children.  I've tried various search methods, but no luck.

Can anyone give me a hint?

Sheena
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: McLarens in Govan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 November 17 07:25 GMT (UK) »
You haven't said, but can we assume you have tried all three databases (Church of Scotland, Roman Catholic and Other Church at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 November 17 08:46 GMT (UK) »
I think I did, but I'll check that.  I've got a fair amount of information supporting Church of Scotland.

Sheena
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 November 17 12:31 GMT (UK) »
On FreeCEN there is a entry 1841 census return Govan Water St and a Douglas MaClaren m aged 22 Dyer Journeyman and a Christina Campbell aged 21 employed at the Dyework are listed which may suggest they were'nt married before the census was taken and can narrow your search a wee bit.
And the 1851 Census seems to spell their surname correctly and remember the age may be rounded up slightly.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 November 17 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.  I've got the census records, so have found the names of the children.  They were married in March 1841 but their first son doesn't appear in the 1841 or 1851 census.  I guess he could be with a family member but I haven't done that search.  I know that Scottish women often retained their single name for official purposes after marriage.  I've done a search for children born to Christina in her single name, but came up empty.  It's getting late here in Australia so I'll look at other church records tomorrow.

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 November 17 13:06 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 census does list John as aged 10 born Govan....Alexander aged 8 born Govan.....and James aged 1 born Govan.......Christina is spelt Christian aged 30 born Govan and Douglas aged 34 born Stirling hope this is of help and good luck.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 November 17 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  I'll post any outcome based on this extra information.

Sheena