Author Topic: Honor Grenfell  (Read 2713 times)

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Honor Grenfell
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 November 17 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Jane married as Jane Waters, her death shows father as Thomas Waters, and in 1841 at Madron, Cornwall (where she married) there is a 13 year old Jane Waters who is a servant in Madron.   Surely this is more likely to be your Jane?

I realise it's not helping finding her family but thought I ought to point this out.

Annette

There is also a William EDDY in this household.  ;D

Melchizedech JAMES    40   Cornwall
Maria JAMES              30
Melchizedech JAMES    6    
John JAMES            4    
Mary JAMES               2    
William EDDY           15
Richard JAMES            12    
Jane WATERS            15

HO107/143/5 page 3

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 November 17 23:06 GMT (UK) »
The Honor Walters who died in 1842 was aged 58 (from GRO Search Index), so born c1784?

I can see 3 baptisms for an Honor Grenfell on Cornwall OPC Database:
1791 to Thomas & Margaret
1804 to James & Honour
1808 to James & Honor

All 3 baptisms in St Just in Penwith.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 November 17 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Jane married as Jane Waters, her death shows father as Thomas Waters, and in 1841 at Madron, Cornwall (where she married) there is a 13 year old Jane Waters who is a servant in Madron.   Surely this is more likely to be your Jane?

I realise it's not helping finding her family but thought I ought to point this out.

Annette

There is also a William EDDY in this household.  ;D

However, I do notice that one of the witnesses at the marriage of Jane WATERS and William EDDY is John W GRENFELL (probably John White GRENFELL, brother of Honor GRENFELL?)

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 November 17 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone - yes I have them in the 1841 census I was confident of this however good to hear that others agree with the thinking.
What a great find 1841 James family with Jane Walters and William Eddy - that definitely makes sense - the other 1841 census is OK for Jane's age but the parents ages look more like grandparents
So I agree the James family census is the one, thanks again for all the info ........... Alison

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 November 17 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Umm, now I'm getting confused. Just to be clear ...

I think Jane WALTERS was baptised 1 May 1829 at ST Just in Penwith with parents Thomas and Honor. It looks like this Jane is in St Just in 1841 at "Carnkey".

Another Jane WATERS (most likely yours) is with the JAMES family in Madron with William EDDY.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 November 17 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Umm, now I'm getting confused. Just to be clear ...

I think Jane WALTERS was baptised 1 May 1829 at ST Just in Penwith with parents Thomas and Honor. It looks like this Jane is in St Just in 1841 at "Carnkey".

Another Jane WATERS (most likely yours) is with the JAMES family in Madron with William EDDY.

I agree with you, maddys52!   These are clearly 2 different Jane's and I really don't think Thomas and Honor are Jane Waters parents.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 November 17 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to confuse the most helpful researchers - I do appreciate your time and effort
Have I missed something logically?     Why can't Thomas and Honor be Jane's parents - she could also be the same Jane with William Eddy in 1841 census and not the 1841 census at Carnkey
Who do you think are the parents of the Jane in Madron?
Remember that Thomas died 1841 and Honor 1842, so maybe Jane went as a servant when her father died and that is why she is in Madron - of course that means where was her mother 1841?     Any further suggestions as to how to confirm the baptism and therefore parents of Jane?   thanks  ................ Alison

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Thomas and Honor Walters are both still alive at the time of the census in 1841 and daughter Jane 12 is with them in their parish of St. Just in Penwith.

The Jane Waters  who would seem to be your Jane is 6 miles away in Madron working as a servant as is her future husband William Eddy.

She was Waters on 1841 census, Waters when she married, and father shown as Thomas Waters on her death certificate.

Jane Waters could have been baptised in a non-conformist church whose records are not available online. 

Do you have a copy of the marriage certificate of Jane and William Eddy?   Is the occupation of her father known?   This could help in determining which Thomas was her father.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 07:02 GMT (UK) »
A transcription of the marriage is on http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/marriages/

04 Dec 1848 Madron
Groom William Robert EDDY
 Age   26 Bachelor of Polgoon   -Labourer
Father John Eddy Labourer
Bride Jane WATERS
Age   20 Spinster of Beryas
Father Thomas Waters -Miner
Witnesses John W GRENFELL and John EDDY

Both bride and groom made their mark

Thomas Walters in 1841 is listed as a miner.   

Jane Waters in 1841 was a servant at Beryas - Could she have been counted twice in the census  :-\

Thomas Walters  was buried on 23 June 1841 and Honor Walters on 4 Nov 1842 (Edit - as Osprey posted above)  Could she have come home to see her parents??