Author Topic: Arthur & Emma Barnard Norfolk  (Read 1045 times)

Offline patgc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arthur & Emma Barnard Norfolk
« on: Sunday 05 November 17 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I have recently come across some paperwork and photos of Arthur Leonard Barnard son of the above who was killed in action in April 1918. I am hoping that there may be someone on here connecte with the family. I did see posts from Sally7216 but her email is not working. Would really like to give these papers to someone connected to Arthur

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur & Emma Barnard Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 November 17 13:59 GMT (UK) »
There are 8 trees on Ancestry for this family - presumably contacting one of the owners would be the way to go.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 November 17 14:14 GMT (UK) »
You could also look to see if anyone else apart from Sally7216 is researching this family on here (in case you do not belong to Ancestry) by looking in 'Surname Interests' under 'Your Tools', below.

Offline patgc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 November 17 18:31 GMT (UK) »
I am not a member of Ancestry, how do I contact any of the 8 trees that you mention please ?
Looking under Surname interests just takes me to paying sites

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 November 17 19:22 GMT (UK) »
are you sure his parents were Arthur & Emma from Norfolk  cos below is a note put on by aa Ancestry tree member KeithFrancis22  just had another look at his tree and seen he has an Alfred Leonard Barnard as dying in 1918 must have decided he didn't die at birth.
I think you can contact a member even if you haven't a sub but if you PM me I will send him a message he was online a couple of days ago so still active.

Arthur Leonard Barnard, my great grandfather was born at Wacton, Norfolk, about 12 miles south of Norwich in 1858. At the age of 12 he had become a yard boy, possibly working with his agricultural labourer father Daniel. Arthur then became an agricultural labourer and by 1881 had married Emma Maddis who was born at Mutford, near Lowestoft, Suffolk in 1858.Their first home was at Mutford. Their first child was Margaret Annie Maddis who was born blind on 7July 1876. She was born before they married and retained the name of Maddis until she herself married in 1898. Margaret Annie would have left home, probably in the mid 80's to go to the School for the Indigent Blind, Southwark, London where she was to meet her future husband, Alfred Woodward Parker. There must have been some form of welfare scheme (probably one or more village charities) to finance Margaret Annie's education at the school but it is not known what she studied specifically apart possibly from learning how to cope with being blind from birth.
Arthur continued his work as an agricultural labourer and combined it with being an engine driver, which may have indicated that he operated a threshing machine or other form of new farm implement. He and Emma continued to live at Mutford and had three more children there, Leonard D (b.1.880), Olive Jane (b.1881) and Leonard James (b.1883). In about 1885 they moved to Warham All Saints, Norfolk, about 5 miles west of Blakeney. Two more children were born here, Emma Jane (b.1886) and Ellen May (b. 1889). The family moved yet again within a few years to Swanton Morley, Norfolk, about 10 miles northeast of Norwich, where employment opportunities might have been greater. Additional children born here were Arthur L (b. 1896) and Percy L (b.1899). There may have been other children born between Ellen May and Arthur L who did not survive childbirth or their first year, which was common for 15% of children in the 19th century.
Arthur Leonard Barnard eventually died on 16 August 1827 at East Bilney, Norfolk (about 7 miles N of Dereham) aged 69. I have a photograph of Emma, her daughter Margaret Annie and my mother Evelyn Violet (aged probably 18 at the time) which indicates Emma to be about 72 at the time (c.1930). The photograph was almost certainly taken at Radstock, but Emma would have been likely to have died in Norfolk soon after or possibly at her place of birth, Mutford, Suffolk.

Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 November 17 19:26 GMT (UK) »
From Surname interests click on Quick Search, and then alphabetically to B's and then to Barnards.  Quite a few people have Barnards, so then look for Barnards in Norfolk, or a more specific location.

If you are  getting to payment sites, you have clicked on a wrong link somewhere.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 November 17 19:30 GMT (UK) »
sandiep,

Arthur Leonard (1896) is the son of Arthur (1858)  and Emma.

Added:
Oh, you have amended your information.
Lots of the other trees have him killed in 1918 as stated originally.