Author Topic: RAF Service Record query  (Read 652 times)

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RAF Service Record query
« on: Sunday 05 November 17 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Recently received my Father's WWII service record.I am slowly getting to understand some of the abbreviations but one I need help with is "4 KEC" which I presume was a unit or base in Egypt. My Father was moved from the UK to Egypt in December '44 and joined MCU (Motor Craft Unit) Alex which I believe was Air-Sea Rescue based at the Royal Yacht Club, Alexandria. On 30 August he was moved to 4 KEC before being sent back to the UK a week later to be discharged at  104 P.D.C.
I see on his promotions list that he was demoted twice, one being three days after arriving in Egypt, and soon after his rank was reinstated. Since his Character is marked VG on every line in the Mustering panel my query is did demotions occur without the need for a misdemeanor.

Regards

Glyn   
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: RAF Service Record query
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 November 17 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Do you know if the ranks were substantive - paid for the rank?

e.g. a corporal is needed at a unit so someone is made up but not paid as a corporal, maybe required for disciplinary measures as in the police, but he has corporal responsibilities. The person usually will get the rank paid a little later. If you are posted you could have the unpaid rank taken off you as the new unit may have enough corporals. After a short while a need for a corporal may be required and the rank given to that person again.

I know it seems complex but there always has to be someone in charge.  ::)

On the other hand he could have been in trouble  :o. Is there a charge sheet with the service record?

:)
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: RAF Service Record query
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 November 17 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you medpat that makes sense to me. He was in the AAF and therefore called up in August before war broke out on the rank of AC2. By the following April he was promoted to AC1 after this he was discharged to hospital and started again the following January as an AC2 before being promoted to AC1 two months later. In October '41 he was promoted to LAC.
During all war until his move to Egypt he had been in Balloon Squadrons and since MCU was a totally different unit this is probably why he was reclassified to AC1 on his arrival. A few months later he was promoted back to LAC after gaining a qualification Ex ATTB ??
I vaguely remember my Mother saying that Dad had got into trouble in Egypt because he had parked his lorry overnight and on his return in the morning all its wheels were missing. I originally thought this was the reason for his demotion but not now.

Regards

Glyn
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland