Author Topic: Harmon brothers  (Read 1293 times)

Offline mcsc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harmon brothers
« on: Sunday 05 November 17 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Three Harmon/Hermon brothers from Ireland were in South Carolina, USA around 1800.  John, Samuel and Andrew Harmon, sometimes spelled Hermon.  Andrew born 1767.  Samuel about 1765 and John born before 1776.  No information of their father or whether he also came to USA.  I don't know which county they came from, Down is just a guess based on some other records.

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Harmon brothers
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 November 17 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, records in Ireland are difficult to find for pre about 1865 when civil registration started, some church records are available from earlier in the 1800's but I doubt many start this far back

The only record I can find of Harmon/Hermon in County down pre/early 1800's is in the administration bond for Newry and Mourne Wills

Richard Harmon - Faney, Magheralin, 1836. (I have no further details)

There is also a George Herman who died 1818 in Magheralin.

I have a few births in the early 1800's for children of William Herman - but I cannot get the details on these.

There is another will online for a Herman in Faney from 1858
https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/willsSearchResultsDetails.aspx.

There is also some records to Hermans and Harmons on the Ros Davies site

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/H/HepHey.htm
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline mcsc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 November 17 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  I know it's a long shot.  Magheralin Church looks like it could be an interesting lead but all the records shown are too recent.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 November 17 15:17 GMT (UK) »
A list of Harmon, Hermon etc who were living in the six counties [later Northern Ireland]
when the irish tithe applotment books were being made up, and rearranged into counties
showing civil parish and a little more .

Tithes Applotment Books 1823-1837 based upon the index work of the Irish Genealogy Hub.  The relevant original books are in the  Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) Belfast

Hermon, Wm.      Townland: Ballyleckey Year: 1833   Ballinderry    Antrim
Herman, Samuel   Townland: Tonagh Year: 1834   Blaris   Antrim
Herman, William   Townland: Magabbery Year: 1834   Magheramesk   Antrim

Harman, James   County: Down Townland: Feny Year: 1834   Magheralin   Armagh
Harman, James   County: Down Townland: Gartross Year: 1834   Magheralin   Armagh

Harman, Thos.   Townland: Moneymore Year: 1828   Desertlyn    Derry
Hernery, Ambrose   Townland: Murmeal Year: 1828   Kilcronaghan   Derry

Hernon, James   Townland: Ballyroney Year: 1837   Drumballyroney   Down
Harmah, John      Townland: Mounthamilton South Year: 1833   Killaney   Down
Harman, James   Townland: Feny Year: 1834   Magheralin   Down see entry under Co Armagh above
Harman, James   Townland: Gartross Year: 1834   Magheralin   Down
Herman, James   Townland: Feney Year: 1842   Moira   Down
Hermon, James   Townland: Feney Year: 1833   Moira   Down
Hermon, James   Townland: Feney Year: 1842   Moira   Down
Hermon, James   Townland: Gartross Year: 1833   Moira   Down
Hermon, Jas.      Townland: Gartross Year: 1833   Moira   Down
Hernan, Henry   Townland: Ballykeil Year: 1828   Seapatrick   Down
Hernan, James   Townland: Ballykeil Year: 1828   Seapatrick   Down
Hernon, John      Townland: Ballykeil Year: 1828   Seapatrick   Down
Hermon, James   Townland: Loughans Year: 1827   Tullylish   Down
Herman, Samuel   Townland: Tonagh Year: 1834   Blaris   Down & Antrim

Harmain, Patt.   Tl: Derrycharra Yr: 1832   Enniskillen   Fermanagh

Harnan, Heny.   T: Bodony Y: 1834   Dromore   Tyrone
Harnan, Wm.      T: Bodony Y: 1834   Dromore   Tyrone
Herman, Thomas   T: Coolagary Y: 1833   Errigal Keerogue   Tyrone
Herman, Thomas   T: Tenements Y: 1833   Errigal Keerogue   Tyrone

A guide to church records is downloadable from PRONI
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/proni-guide-church-records emmigrant material  etc are in PRONI

I can only offer one reference for a Hermon family tree, in the Blackwood Family History manuscript trees Collection in the LinenHall library, Belfast.. Visit if you can give them warning helps, if you cant then I suggest you write to them asking them for photocopying estimates only if they think your knowledge relevant and be prepared to pay the extra for post and packing if you are tempted.  the following might be out of date“The Library welcomes all research enquiries, whether made in person, by phone, fax, letter or e-mail. Enquiries from members will be answered free of charge. Visitors from afar, and in particular those engaged in serious research projects, are recommended to make prior contact with the Library to ensure that they receive the best possible service. More complex enquiries should be made by letter, fax, or e-mail. Enquiries of this kind from within the British Isles will normally be answered free of charge, apart from any copying and postage charges. A minimum charge of £2 will normally be made in respect of overseas enquiries. A4 photocopies b&w are 20p.  The Library may be able to assist those with more extensive research requirements on terms subject to negotiation with the Librarian. Contact the Library for further information on info@linenhall.com or Telephone 028 9032 1707. Their address is The Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, see their website for contact details or use Email:info@linenhall.com.
The volume references for
HERMON   25 it will have Co down connections

Hoping this is includes new information for you
good luck, Jim
ps However if the material is really relevant when you get it, I suggest a further donation to this unique library that is always needing extra funds.
or maybe a Harman or Hermon etc , will volunteer to look it up for you.
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline mcsc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 November 17 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posting the list but it's 40-50 years too late.  I need pre-1790 records.  I'll email that library to see if their records go back far enough since visiting is out of my budget.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 November 17 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure they weren’t sons of Harman, Francis, tailor, 3 Orr's Court in a street directory http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/1819_Alphanames.htm.

have you exhausted http://www.dippam.ac.uk/ied/ I couldn’t find anything relevant
have you exhausted PRONI Belfast including it’s downloadable Guide to Church Records
Irish Flax Growers, 1796 only in Co Louth and Co Mayo see http://www.failteromhat.com/post1796.php
glad you will try Linenhall Library's  Blackwood collection. Be patient with them, its an underfunded treasure ie very short staffed
good luck onwards
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide