Author Topic: Atte before a surname  (Read 3445 times)

Offline PtE

• RootsChat Member
  • In knowledge lies wisdom
    • View Profile
Atte before a surname
« on: Sunday 05 November 17 18:18 GMT (UK) »
While researching family names in the medieval period I have come across several names starting with Atte...for example Atte'Hale Roger. Can anyone tell me what the significance of Atte is? Does it mean that the person is of somewhere for instance? Or some other meaning.
Hope someone can help with this one.
Regards
PtE
Bellingham Kent
Hope Kent
Love Kent
Simmons Kent
Bridgland Kent
Beslee Kent
Patterson Kent
Knott Kent

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Atte before a surname
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 November 17 19:14 GMT (UK) »
This article, A Brief Introduction to Medieval Bynames, explains it
https://www.s-gabriel.org/names/arval/bynames/
"By far the most common preposition in medieval English usage was at, generally combined with the definite article as atte 'at the' (or some minor variant). Typical examples are Attewode 1243 'at the wood' and Attemille 1242 'at the mill'. Many other prepositions also occur: Vnderegge 1194 'under edge', for someone who lived at the foot of an escarpment, Overthebek c.1270 'over the beck (i.e., stream)', Bithewaye 1243 'by the way', for someone who lived by the road, and in theffelde 1333 'in the field' are good examples. Just about the _least_ common preposition is of, though it does occur once in a while, e.g., othe felde 1327 'of the field' [3]. In most cases the preposition (and article, if present) were eventually lost; the full forms are rare after c.1400. In a few cases they were fused with the noun, as in the modern names Atwood, Attwater, and Unde"

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 November 17 19:18 GMT (UK) »
The most famous example of the use of atte is in Chaucer`s Canterbury Tales.
To the best of my recollection it is when a place is being described as being at somewhere, so it says one of the characters lived at STRATFORD ATTE BOW meaning not Stratford on Avon but a district of London at Bow.So the example you giv e could be a place name not a person`s surname.
                                    Viktoria.

Offline Big Ted

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 November 17 19:45 GMT (UK) »
One of my earliest ancestors was called Attewood. Because they lived at the Wood - they later became Wood and then Woods. The neighbours lived at the Hatche and were called Attehatche.

Offline PtE

• RootsChat Member
  • In knowledge lies wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 November 17 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to those who responded to my query. Your info was very interesting and helpful, especially the fact that the Atte was not always incorporated into the surname, but eventually dropped in some cases.
Regards
PtE
Bellingham Kent
Hope Kent
Love Kent
Simmons Kent
Bridgland Kent
Beslee Kent
Patterson Kent
Knott Kent