Author Topic: Somoeone died after 2014 but when?  (Read 2952 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Somoeone died after 2014 but when?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 07:51 GMT (UK) »
His name will only come up on the electoral register if he has decided to carry on voting.

Many very elderly people do not have the mental or physical capacity and chose not to vote if they have chronic health issues and can't get to the polling station. Even having a postal vote means you may have to rely on someone else posting your envelope.

I do have the name and will check the death index this week.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 10:05 GMT (UK) »
His name will only come up on the electoral register if he has decided to carry on voting.

Many very elderly people do not have the mental or physical capacity and chose not to vote if they have chronic health issues and can't get to the polling station. Even having a postal vote means you may have to rely on someone else posting your envelope.

I do have the name and will check the death index this week.

My name isn’t on the electoral register available to the public and I’m not dead, I’m mentally okay, I vote and I haven’t moved. I’ve just opted out of appearing on the register as have most of my friends and family.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 10:24 GMT (UK) »
But you will still be on the full register held by your local registration officer and the legally deposited copy at the British Library.

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I didn’t realise there was an option not to be on that. How easy is that to view by the general public?

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 10:48 GMT (UK) »
The obvious answer is to go to the Superintendant Registrar's office for the place the person died and search the indexes for his/her death.
Then buy the certificate.

You do not have to give any details for wanting it, you do not even have to give any reason for wanting any birth marriage or death certificate in the UK it is a legal requirement they are provided on payment of the relevant fee.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 17:27 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Dawn...

I had (what we should never do in genealogy) assumed anyone of voting age would have appeared on the Voters Roll/Electoral Register!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 17:43 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Dawn...

I had (what we should never do in genealogy) assumed anyone of voting age would have appeared on the Voters Roll/Electoral Register!

Annie

I had thought that as well, Annie. I thought it was a legal requirement to fill in the form otherwise you could be fined. Whether or not you then exercise your right to vote is another matter. I know that there are two lists held - the electoral register and the open register, which is the one sold to people and which you can opt out of. Have I got that wrong?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 17:57 GMT (UK) »
I thought it was a legal requirement to fill in the form otherwise you could be fined. Whether or not you then exercise your right to vote is another matter.

Oohh Yes...

I recall many yrs ago receiving a threatening letter regarding court action (words to that effect) as I hadn't returned the doc. (pre net days) & I was not only scared but livid.

I filled in the form & sent it back with a letter to say they should be more interested in the people not paying their rent/council tax or poll tax (whichever at the time) & scare them with a jail threat as my only fault was mislaying & forgetting to fill in a form.

Needless to say I had no apology or explanation  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 18:53 GMT (UK) »
from the gov.uk website

https://www.gov.uk/electoral-register

but I know of 1 friend who has never been on the electoral register.

There must be others who deliberately chose to fall through the cracks for all sorts of reasons.

Apart from being able to vote, appearing on the electoral register can help if you want to buy large items on credit as the credit companies establish how long you've been there, what sort of property it is and how great a risk you are for not paying.

edited to add this

https://www.ctp.org.uk/assets/x/51839

Chandler-Chelsea