Author Topic: Careys of Rathkeale 1880s  (Read 12258 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Careys of Rathkeale 1880s
« Reply #72 on: Thursday 30 November 17 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Things like that complicate searching! sorry for delay but email just sent

Sometimes the address seems to refer to Rosetown Cottage which is shown on OSI maps
A search in the Irish Valuations office could shed light on how they came to be there.
www.osi.ie
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 30 November 17 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Another reference to Rosetown Cottage.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 30 November 17 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Rosetown Cottage was up for sale in 1882,1889, 1914, 1921,1924 and 1926

image is from 1914

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 30 November 17 21:49 GMT (UK) »
You can search the Kildare Observer here
http://archive.irishnewsarchive.com/Olive/APA/KCL.Edu/#panel=home
you can see Catherine was selling meadow in 1911.
Looking at how she was living is making me less convinced she was in Louth in 1911, not that I can find her anywhere else.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Thursday 30 November 17 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Just checking the map, and Rosetown Cottage is indeed in Greatconnell townland, right on the border with Rosetown townland.
Rosetown Cottage where the red + is, pink line is the border between the two townlands.
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,682757,712999,10,7
and in this one you can see the name of the house
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,682757,712999,10,9

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Friday 01 December 17 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Sinann

Great finds there - I cannot work out why Catherine/Katherine McGUINNESS nee KEENAN would buy a property in Kildare

Her parents married in Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh and her mother is on UK census returns in 1881 and 1891 as born in Co. Fermanagh.

Her father was a Messman in the army or an army pensioner on records found but I haven't sourced a record to prove where he was originally from.

Her husband Robert Allison McGUINNESS was most likely the son of Richard McGUINNESS of Ballycampion, Bruff, Co. Limerick and Jane ALLISON of Cashel, Co. Tipperary. They married in 1844 in Cashel, Co. Tipperary and had at least nine children although I haven't  a specific for Robert.  If he was 38 when he died in 1884 he was bc 1846.

Finally my thoughts on the marriage record of Richard John McGUINNESS in 1905 is that the information was incorrectly written - that the groom was the Office in the Army and his father the gentleman - also T4Tim has mentioned that he was known as Jack hence perhaps why a reference to Richard is missing; that someone familiar with him gave the details rather than they being 100% correct - note the corrections for Eileen CAREY also LINK
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Friday 01 December 17 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Anne KEENAN (Catherine's mother) was also in Kildare in 1901!
She is shown with her daughter Maud (now married since 1892 to Charles Alfred DAY not listed)
at house 230 in Curragh East (Ballysax East, Kildare) LINK

Charles Alfred DAY was also a Mess Caterer (1911 census) - this seems to have been a family tradition!

Kathleen Agnes Alfreda DAY was born on Oct 10 1893 at Rosetown LINK
Charles is in the 1st Border Regiment as a Sergeant at this time

Looking at the dates Sinann posts for the sale of Rosetown I presume that the family, if they bought the house, did so in 1889 and were there until 1914 when it next sold - the valuations office or land registry could confirm

Further generations:

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Friday 01 December 17 12:03 GMT (UK) »
I had assumed Bernard knew him as Jack, but he wouldn't write Jack on an official form hence John, a mix up in the occupations is quite possible, good thinking.

Why buy land in Kildare, I guess why not, the family may have become familiar with the area through the army connections.

I didn't know any of Catherine's early history, she was proving very difficult. They moved around a lot this family between them and the Careys we have been all over the country.
I was hoping there would be a death notice in the Observer, is it know where she was buried?

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Friday 01 December 17 12:10 GMT (UK) »
i only found the death by accident - trial and error I assumed she was the Kate McGuinness, witness, on the marriage record and used those as dates to search

Much of what I have found was also by following siblings to then work back again.

They certainly moved about but this would not have been unusual for a military family - I feel that Robert Allison McGUINNESS met Katherine KEENAN in Cork and that after his death less than ten years later she went back into the "family catering" business and travelled around again!
Further generations: