Author Topic: What happened to Mary WALLIS ? SA & WA  (Read 1973 times)

Offline JJdownunder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
What happened to Mary WALLIS ? SA & WA
« on: Monday 06 November 17 14:50 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate Mary Wallis between the years 1919 (when she married Spencer George Wallis in Western Australia) and 1954 ( when she died in Coolgardie Western Australia ) ....Spencer died in 1924 in Norwood South Australia just 5 years after they were wed but I  have not been able to find out what happened to Mary after this nor exactly when they went to South Australia or when she returned to Western Australia we just know she lived in Coolgardie for a number years  ... hoping someone can help :)
All census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lawson,Houlden,Robinson,Cooper,Farrar,Hunter,Wilson, (in yeadon rawdon guiseley) Lofthouse,Gill, (in burley in wharfedale,langcliffe,hampsthwaite) Gray (in aberford) Wetherill (in Harewood) Elliott,Hudson(in gislingham suffolk) Worm(e),Holmes (in hainford norfolk)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Mary WALLIS ? SA & WA
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 00:51 GMT (UK) »
It may be helpful to give more information about the backgrounds of both Mary and George.

Parents names and their whereabouts
Birthplaces
Siblings
Occupations

All such details often help with a search.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Is this the right Spencer?
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01l0k/
....Spencer George Wallis & Mary Elizabeth Fuller came to Australia between 1912 & 1916 with their two daughters (Ruth & Marg) who were born in England. The two sons Stanley & Arthur were born in Western Australia. After Mary's death, Spencer remarried and the four children from his first marriage were placed in an orphanage.

Offline JJdownunder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Is this the right Spencer?
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01l0k/
....Spencer George Wallis & Mary Elizabeth Fuller came to Australia between 1912 & 1916 with their two daughters (Ruth & Marg) who were born in England. The two sons Stanley & Arthur were born in Western Australia. After Mary's death, Spencer remarried and the four children from his first marriage were placed in an orphanage.

Yes and I have left a msg on that board but have had no reply, the Mary I am searching for is from his second marriage her name was Mary Knight (née Scott) they married in Western Australia in 1919 the same year his first wife died, she also had a daughter but left her with her late husbands parents and they brought her up.. he then died in 1924 in Adelaide and this is where we don’t know what happened to Mary except we know she lived in Coolgardie WA for a number of years prior to her death in 1954 she is buried in Coolgardie... I am currently in contact with someone on Ancestry who descends from Spencer but they were not aware of the second marriage

Lawson,Houlden,Robinson,Cooper,Farrar,Hunter,Wilson, (in yeadon rawdon guiseley) Lofthouse,Gill, (in burley in wharfedale,langcliffe,hampsthwaite) Gray (in aberford) Wetherill (in Harewood) Elliott,Hudson(in gislingham suffolk) Worm(e),Holmes (in hainford norfolk)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 02:01 GMT (UK) »
It may be helpful to give more information about the backgrounds of both Mary and George.

Parents names and their whereabouts
Birthplaces
Siblings
Occupations

All such details often help with a search.

Sue

Where were her parents?
What were their names?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 02:39 GMT (UK) »
Some info from electoral rolls - two men with similar names:
1916, 1917 at Wood St Osborne, WA
George Spencer WALLIS, attendant, Mary Elizabeth WALLIS, hd

Spencer George WALLIS, fireman and Mary WALLIS, hd at 40 Wood St, Fremantle (It may now be the suburb White Gum Valley)
1922 George Spencer WALLIS, fireman listed at 58 Railway ST, Cottesloe - no-one else of that surname listed at this address

Unfortunately I don't have access to South Australia rolls. 

There are a number of men listed in Victoria and WA with the second forename Spencer.  The next entry I can see which uses Spencer as a first name -
1937 at Applecross
Spencer WALLIS
1943 at Fraser St, Applecross
Spencer WALLIS, gardener.

I see Mary WALLIS, pensioner, in Coolgardie in 1949, 1954  There are other listings in WA but it's not an uncommon name so I won't put them up.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JJdownunder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Judith the fireman is the one his occupation on marriage certificate is fireman.... coincidently Mary arrived in Australia in 1913 to join her husband and his family onboard the same ship (Belgic) as another Spencer Wallis ( he was older than the one she married and we believe he is the one who died 1949 and is buried in Mundaring but we have not been able to connect the two.... thankyou for your input Sue but as she left her parents back in the uk I don’t think this information will be helpful in finding the information in the timeline I am seeking and I don’t want to complicate matters or have people doubling up on info I already have :)

Offline JJdownunder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 04:01 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear this just seems to complicate matters further as I have just noticed both are listed as firemen   ???

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 04:53 GMT (UK) »
Re the 1922 electoral roll entries - it's possible that it's the same man listed twice.  Because bureaucracy relied on human entries for records it's not uncommon to find that people moved and were recorded in two places at the same time because the first record hadn't been removed.  This one is a bit odd though as it would seem that the 1916 and 1919 entries are for the man you are looking for but with forenames reversed and with his first wife at the same address as he is later with your Mary but listed as Spencer George.

Quite a coincidence to have 2 men on the same ship with the same not-very-common names.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk