Author Topic: What happened to Mary WALLIS ? SA & WA  (Read 1974 times)

Offline John Bell

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Mary WALLIS ? SA & WA
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 08:59 GMT (UK) »
JJ.

"...or if we can track the 3 children that were sent interstate".

Does the 3 children you are looking for interstate include the child Ruth?
BELL :Coatbridge, Sct & West Aust
WALLIS :Lamberhurst, Ticehurst, Frant. Ssx & West Aust
SENYARD :London.
VEAZEY :London
PARMENTER :Acton Suffolk & London & West Aust

Offline JJdownunder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Yes     Ruth Elizabeth bn 1908
          Marjorie Grace bn 1912
          Stanley George bn 1916 were the 3 sent interstate.... Ruth apparently was with her father when he died in 1924 in SA, she also married there but the other 2 married in Victoria.....but I don’t know if she travelled over with him  or came later....my main objective is to find Mary Wallis, to assertain whether she went to SA with Spencer George and when he actually went to SA

All census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lawson,Houlden,Robinson,Cooper,Farrar,Hunter,Wilson, (in yeadon rawdon guiseley) Lofthouse,Gill, (in burley in wharfedale,langcliffe,hampsthwaite) Gray (in aberford) Wetherill (in Harewood) Elliott,Hudson(in gislingham suffolk) Worm(e),Holmes (in hainford norfolk)

Offline John Bell

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought…
If you know where George Spencer Wallis was buried in 1924 (South Australia) you can contact the cemetery and see if they have a record of who the grantee of his grave was at the time.
If it was his wife, Mary Wallis, this could suggest she may have been there at the time, conversely if it was his daughter Ruth, or somebody else, this could suggest Mary Wallis may not have been there.

When Ruth Elizabeth Wallis married in 1926 (South Australia) there is a record of her foster parents.
Have you followed up that avenue at all as there may be some record somewhere mentioning Ruth's parents.
From the engagement notice, although unclear, it could be construed that Mary Wallis was not at the
wedding of Ruth in 1926.
BELL :Coatbridge, Sct & West Aust
WALLIS :Lamberhurst, Ticehurst, Frant. Ssx & West Aust
SENYARD :London.
VEAZEY :London
PARMENTER :Acton Suffolk & London & West Aust

Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 09 November 17 01:25 GMT (UK) »
A Mary WALLIS, (Anglican faith) was buried in Plot B3.77 of Coolgardie Cemetery on 6th November 1954. No further information available.  A DC may provide further useful data.

Edit:
Reread original enquiry and noted you were aware of death location. Hoping my input advances your search.
q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Hamilton, Kennedy, Lovell, McCreadie, Murray, Workman - Ayrshire, Scotland
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire
McCreadie, Wills, Wyatt - Queensland
Tait/Tate - Toronto, Canada
Workman, McEwan - OFS, South Africa

Offline JJdownunder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 09 November 17 04:48 GMT (UK) »
I know who Ruth’s parents were it is the second wife I am trying to locate,  I’m trying to find out her whereabouts between 1919 ( when they married) and 1954 ( when she died in Coolgardie) and whether or not there were any more children ....After Spencer’s  first wife died the 4 children from that marriage were put into an orphanage then 3 were sent interstate to foster care  Spencer then remarries but turns up dead 5 yrs later in SA but we don’t know what happened to Mary. We don’t know when, how or why Spencer went to SA nor do we know whether Mary accompanied him   All we know is Mary lived for a number of years in Coolgardie before her death in 1954. I have been in contact with Ruth’s granddaughter on Ancestry and she was unaware of the second marriage.
All census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lawson,Houlden,Robinson,Cooper,Farrar,Hunter,Wilson, (in yeadon rawdon guiseley) Lofthouse,Gill, (in burley in wharfedale,langcliffe,hampsthwaite) Gray (in aberford) Wetherill (in Harewood) Elliott,Hudson(in gislingham suffolk) Worm(e),Holmes (in hainford norfolk)