Author Topic: 1861 Census - 24 Legge Street Birmingham  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Bradwell77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1861 Census - 24 Legge Street Birmingham
« on: Monday 06 November 17 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know where I can find 24 Legge Street Birmingham on the 1861 census?

50-90 (consecutive) are on the Aston Duddeston census at RG9 2177. The enumerator turns into Legge St (No 50) from Aston Road and then after number 90 goes into Bagot starting with number 50.
I suspect that 24 Legge is in another ward - but which?

Any local knowledge out there?

Thanks
Bucks - Cadd, Howell, Ellard, Bennett, Smith (Hillesden, P Bissett), Mason (Edgcott)
Cheshire - Buckwright, Brearly (Stockport)
Lancs - Hall (Oldham)
Lincs - Jackson (Epworth), Foster, Jeffrey, Lincoln, Harley, Eastgate (Bennington) Maddison, Douthwaite, Dobbs & King (Caistor), Hill (Thornton)
Essex - Wright (Wigboroughs), Demmond & Rich (Layer Haye), Harrington (Grt Baddow), Tuley, Crosby, Horsnail, Keeling (Hanningfields & Woodhams)
Warwks - Claydon, Hewens & Arnold, (Tysoe)
Ireland- King Mayo

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census - 24 Legge Street Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 November 17 15:34 GMT (UK) »
You will find it on RG 9 / 2155 / 46 / 37.

The head of household is Samuel Osborne aged 45.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bradwell77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 November 17 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this.  I now see it is in St Mary's.

Householder not the person I am after.

I'm trying to find (George) Samuel Smith b1829 and wife Matilda Faith. They has a son Samuel George baptised in 1863 with address 24 Legge St.  An older child Sarah Sophia was baptised in 1860 with address Latimer Street South - but they were not there in 1861. Senior dies in 1863. Matilda Faith then marries David Bishop, the widower of her late sister! Can track them 1871 onwards.

I believe an older child of (George) Samuel and Matilda Faith's was Elizabeth bc1858 (no baptism found) who should also have been with the family and is probably my wife's GGGrandmother.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Interested to know where the best street index resource is for the Birmingham censuses though.
Bucks - Cadd, Howell, Ellard, Bennett, Smith (Hillesden, P Bissett), Mason (Edgcott)
Lancs - Hall (Oldham)
Lincs - Jackson (Epworth), Foster, Jeffrey, Lincoln, Harley, Eastgate (Bennington) Maddison, Douthwaite, Dobbs & King (Caistor), Hill (Thornton)
Essex - Wright (Wigboroughs), Demmond & Rich (Layer Haye), Harrington (Grt Baddow), Tuley, Crosby, Horsnail, Keeling (Hanningfields & Woodhams)
Ireland- King Mayo

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 November 17 19:03 GMT (UK) »
This thread is like a blast from the past for me and really I'm not giving you any useful information. I used to work in Legge Street the bit between Aston Road and Bagot Street two minutes and you could walk the length of the street. I think the rest of Legge Street disappeared many years ago.

What I didn't know at the time was that I had ancestors that lived in Bagot Street for years.  ;D

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bradwell77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 November 17 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Legge Street appears to have had lots of 'Courts' at the rear - typical with this area of Birmingham. But still no (George) Samuel Smith - occupation 'stamper' - and family. Can see where the Aston Expressway has truncated the street. Progress I suppose. Remember my dear old mother in law once saying, on a journey into Birmingham from Sutton Coldfield, "they were slum areas when I was a little girl, we never had anything to do with them". What she did not know - as I found out only recently - most of her ancestors (jewellery workers, gun barrel filers etc) lived in the Courts behind streets Lancaster, Bagot and Legge!

As for the link to National Archives, tried that weeks ago - seems to be no longer interactive.

And one final point, is it just me, but has the interactive parish map page on familysearch.com stopped working?

Lancs - Hall (Oldham)
Ireland- King Mayo