Author Topic: Illegitimate children  (Read 2157 times)

Offline bscott75

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Illegitimate children
« on: Monday 06 November 17 23:17 GMT (UK) »
How to I find the name of the father in the case of illegitimate children?
I am searching for the father of twin girls born in Rothesay, Isle of Bute, in 1872. I have their names and the name of their mother. But the name of the father is not in the birth register.
Their names are Jessie and Janet Pritchard. And their mother is Janet Pritchard.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitimate children
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 November 17 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome to RootsChat

You have little chance of finding the father's name if it is not recorded on the birth certificate.
Unless someone in the family knows it.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Welcome from me too

Did the twins name a father on their marriage certs?  Do their death certs show a fathers name?   Occasionally illegitimate children find their fathers names etc in later life but it's a slim hope and would only apply if they married and died in Scotland
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 00:25 GMT (UK) »
And their mother is Janet Pritchard.

The 1881 has 8yr old twins Jessie & Janet Pritchard born Rothesay living in Lanarkshire with parents Robert & Mary Pritchard

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bscott75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.
They are indeed recorded in the 1881 census as the daughters of Robert and Mary Pritchard. But their birth certificates record the name of their mother as Janet Pritchard, who worked as a domestic servant. And no name for the father. They were born in Rothesay on the Isle of Bute.
Perhaps they were informally or formally adopted and raised by relatives Robert and Mary Pritchard in Lanarkshire.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 03:56 GMT (UK) »
There is an 1862 Sheriff Court Paternity case in Airdrie brought by Janet Pritchard, Domestic Servant, Barrachnie nr Baillieston against Douglas McGill of Barrachnie.

Clearly not the twins but possibly the same mother, especially as there is a 17 year old George Pritchard born 'Bailliestone' in the same household in 1881.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 05:23 GMT (UK) »
Welcome from me too.

Not sure how acquainted you are with SP site but just incase you missed it...

Was there a reference to a RCE (Correction) on SP which would have an entry on the left side margin of the BCs next to their names?

If so they are free to download.

Many people don't notice them hence my question.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Did you see my reply re any father named on marriage or death certs?

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 12:03 GMT (UK) »
My 4xG grandfather's sister had two illegitimate children. Neither birth certificate states a father and the daughter's marriage certificate states 'born out of wedlock' under the father's name & occupation. Her half brother claims a father on his marriage cert, a carpenter, deceased. I have found a carpenter of the same name living locally at the time of his conception. He was married with his own children, no proof of course but an interesting line of research for me :)
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.