Author Topic: Isabella Finley immigrated to USA 1842  (Read 1640 times)

Offline reidfd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabella Finley immigrated to USA 1842
« on: Tuesday 07 November 17 03:04 GMT (UK) »
departed Dundee sailing ship Medora arrived New York 13 September 1842
Likely to have resided arbroath Scotland  advice needed family connection

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Finley immigrated to USA 1842
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 09:12 GMT (UK) »
What sort of advice are you after? 

Her life in the US or Scotland.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline reidfd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 10:36 GMT (UK) »
The information would be in Scotland.  Isabella Finley is listed directly under William & Elizabeth Kydd and their family on the Medora passenger list which arrived in New York 13 Sept 1842.  My primary interest is the Kydds', however as Isabella was listed as 11 years of age, she is likely to have travelled with the Kydd family.  I wish to know who she is?  I suspect she may be a granddaughter of William and Elizabeth. Before immigrating  the Kydds' lived in Barn Green, Arbroath.  Isabella does show up as living with William and Elizabeth in the 1841 Scottish census. I will attempt to attach an extract from the passenger list and census.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Robert Kyd, parents William Kyd and Elizabeth Leith, was born on 7 and baptised on 16 December 1841 in Arbroath. Unfortunately none of the other children's baptisms are recorded in the readily available records, and the marriage too seems not to be on record.

I see that the family at Barn Green in 1841 comprises William Kyd, 50, shoemaker; Elisabeth, 50; Margaret, 20; Elisabeth, 15; and Jean 15, plus Alexander Reid and Smith Reid, both 20.

There is a 2-year-old William Kydd in the household of Elizabeth More, 65 and Susan More, 25 in Lord Burn, Arbroath, and a 1-year-old William Kydd in Panmure Street with William Kydd, 25, shoemaker, and Margaret Kydd, 25. Although the age isn't quite right, the latter looks more likely to be the right one.

I have completely failed to find Isabella Finlay in the 1841 census transcription at FreeCEN. I had hoped that this might give a clue as to her origins.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Isabella does show up as living with William and Elizabeth in the 1841 Scottish census. I will attempt to attach an extract from the passenger list and census.

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 12:21 GMT (UK) »
That is odd because I still can't find her, either in the SP index or on FreeCEN.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.