Author Topic: Mobile phone data to replace census?  (Read 3564 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mobile phone data to replace census?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Quite a few of us seem to make little use of mobile phones, let alone smart phones.  Is it a generational thing, do you think?  My children, both in their early 40s, use their smart phones for just about everything (banking, shopping, GPS info, etc., as well as social media and messaging sites), so the information gathered about them must be significant.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 13:32 GMT (UK) »
I am afraid you (or rather your descendants) will have to get used to the fact they will not be able to access census data after the 2021 census and even that might yet be cancelled.
Future census will be replaced by data gathered from administrative sources including electoral registers, HMRC, School and college registers, the NHS Central Patients Register (evolved from the 1939 National Registration), augmented by data complied by the private sector including utility companies, credit reference agencies, retail and financial companies customer information systems.
This annual complied data will be checked against or compared to an annual 1% sample census.
The costs of the 2011 census for England and Wales was about £482 million and was expected to grow in the future (the 2011 cost over twice the cost of the 2001 census).

There was a project called the “Beyond 2011” or “Beyond 2011 Program” which involved a public consultation in late 2011 to early 20012 which looked into the ideas for the future.
See- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_2011

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Many people are surprised by what can be gleaned from publicly-accessible sources, let alone the hidden stuff.

One correspondent was annoyed that I had listed her birth registration on my website. I explained where it came from, and pointed out that H.M. the Queen and all her descendants are listed in the same publicly-accessible dataset.

As a One-Namer, I need to deal with children whose birth registrations show that their parents never married, or married abroad. No hint of a mother's given name in a birth registration index, is there? I can't afford to buy all those certificates (who could?).

However, I have successfully worked out many of these family relationships simply by examining their lists of Facebook "friends".
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 10 November 17 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Both my husband's phone and my older daughter's phone are in my name.  I wonder how that would work. 
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 10 November 17 10:29 GMT (UK) »
There was earlier mention of utility bills also being used as additional information about us.  How could that work?  All ours are in my husband's name only. 

It's a pain when I try to phone a supplier with a query, as they always want to speak to my husband, "who pays the bills"!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 10 November 17 10:53 GMT (UK) »
There was earlier mention of utility bills also being used as additional information about us.  How could that work?  All ours are in my husband's name only. 

It's a pain when I try to phone a supplier with a query, as they always want to speak to my husband, "who pays the bills"!

There are lots of ways in which this could be useful, irrespective of who pays the bills. As an example - looking at the average heating bills of different types and ages of properties can inform policy on energy-saving projects.  If it can show that spending £xx on subsidising carefully targeted insulation programmes could save households £yy and reduce carbon emissions by ZZ tonnes per year, that would be useful data for planning purposes.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 10 November 17 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget - the census is not about creating informative records for future family historians, it is about gathering data for planning purposes.