Author Topic: Morrison family of Moville.  (Read 4800 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Morrison family of Moville.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 21:30 GMT (UK) »
I think Gulladuff may be a particular area of Gulladoo.
Under Townlands on the OSI mapviewer Gulladoo is listed, but not Gulladuff, however under Locality Gulladuff is listed and brings you to a spot in Gulladoo Lower, although Gulladuff isn't written on the map. Google maps has Gulladuff marked in approx the same place
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,660361,939491,10,7

Offline BRUCE123

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sinann and Liam59 thank you both. I have come to the same conclusion. Thanks. All the best  Bruce 
Ireland co don-  moville   Morrison
Scotland  Morrison
England  Bowbricks, Boubrick, bobbrick, Bobrick.  George 
wales. Evans- Jones

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 December 17 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My ×3 grandmother was a Sarah (sally) Morrison from Greencastle born approx. 1815. I dont have information on her parents. Just thought you might want to add her to your database of Morrisons in the area . She married a James Baird in 1835

Regards

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline BRUCE123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 December 17 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi joemc  :) Thank you. I have a possible mother for John -Ellen- family search. I am thinking that the Morrison around 1800 came over to Moville area from Scotland Greenock, Inverkip and Glasgow area. they  seemed to return to these area in Scotland and Canada. How to prove it?
Thank you for the info and I wish you and yours a Happy Christmas.  all the best Bruce.
Scotland  Morrison
wales. Evans- Jones

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bruce,

I would be cautious about assuming that your Morrisons came to the Moville area around 1800 from Scotland, the lack of Eighteenth century records makes proving if they where living in the Moville area in that time period hard to prove. I know that through the Nineteenth century there were many from the Moville area that settled in Glasgow and surrounding districts, there seems to have been a steady stream both ways going back to the early decades of 1800's and possibly earlier.

In a 'The History of the little Town of Moville', by Bishop Montgomery, written, I think in the early 1900's he speaks of his Great Grandfathers Samuel Montgomery's estate at Moville that he came into in 1768, among the nine tenant families he names Morrison, so there were Morrisons in the area in the 1760's, there are also Morrisons recorded in nearby Culdaff in the 1740, Protestant census.

Regards

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline BRUCE123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joe Hope you had a hearty Christmas :) Frustrated yes I am. clutching at straws guilty!!!! My Gt- grandfather Robert Morrison 1848/9 from Moville had 13 children my mother, married in Scotland one off the 13,  James T.A.Morrison. now I have a paper trail for all but one of the 13 children, up to 2000. I also a unknown gt grand child or grandchild of Robert due to DNA and the war!
  I have read  The History of Moville and noted the families referred to also the letter to the UK government asking for troops.
I feel this brick wall is one where the destruction of documents in Ireland will not brake down. Protestant census? I don't remember seeing this, any details please.
Thank you for your help and may I wish you and yours a happy 2018. all the best Bruce.
Scotland  Morrison
wales. Evans- Jones

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Yeah I understand the frustration, sometimes you can get lucky and something turns up, I managed to get back into the 1700's on my McCorkell line by finding information in the Moville Upper Vestry minute book, available at PRONI, it dates back to 1773. I have a copy of  an unpublished Cess list from Upper Moville from 1792 that I will check for the name Morrison. (I don't have access to the list at this time, but will check later)

The 1740 census is available at PRONI online

https://apps.proni.gov.uk/ProniNames_IE/SearchPage.aspx

Joe

Offline BRUCE123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Joe, talk later. Bruce
Scotland  Morrison
wales. Evans- Jones

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 December 17 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bruce,

Checked the Tithe record from 1792, there was a John Morrison living in the townland of Carrickmcquigley Upper Moville, farming 9.5  acres

Joe