Author Topic: Mary Gillies - Dalry / Dreghorn / Irvine area  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Gillies - Dalry / Dreghorn / Irvine area
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 November 17 09:36 GMT (UK) »
There was a Mary Gillies, with father John and a millwright, born around the same time. The family lived Sorn in the censuses that I've looked at.

However, her mother was a Jean/Jane Stewart .John married Jean in 1834 (Banns at Sorn).  This Mary (b. Monkton on censuses) married Andrew Sawers in Sorn 1859.

I've checked the other Gillies family that you were interested in and followed them back to the early 1800s but can find no link to the Mary Gillies, b Dreghorn whose mother was Agnes Sloan.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline tomwylie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 November 17 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it helps if you spread your net a little wider.  I think I was looking too close.   Marion Cochrane Gillies was born in 1896 to John Gillies and Mary Miller who were married in Dalry in 1880.   There are too many John Gillieses to be absolute certain but perhaps Marion Gillies's father and my great great GM were cousing or brother and sister or something - I wont pursue that any further as they would at best be on the very periphery of my interest.   I am spending too much money on Scotland's People......   Thanks for all your help.......

Tom Wylie

Offline tomwylie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 November 17 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Montgomeryfield was the name of a coalpit / ironmine so perhaps you are not far out with this one - daughter Mary could be my GGGgrandmother......  thanks