Author Topic: Henrietta FOSBERY b. Limerick 1801  (Read 487 times)

Offline trillian22

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henrietta FOSBERY b. Limerick 1801
« on: Tuesday 07 November 17 19:55 GMT (UK) »
My 3rd great grandmother, Henrietta Fosbery, was (so the family story goes) related to the Fosberys of Adare, Co. Limerick. According to my grandad she was the daughter of Francis Fosbery who married Meliora. However, Francis was born in 1791 and Meliora in 1795; since Henrietta was born in about 1801 she couldn't be their daughter. She isn't mentioned in Burke's Landed Gentry along with the rest of her family but she ran away with an English soldier (who might be her eventual husband Joseph Barker) and her family disowned her, which might account for that. As far as I can tell the parish records for Adare only go back to 1832 so I can't find her birth that way. I can find no trace of her before 1835 when she married Joseph Barker in Derbyshire, though I know (from her marriage certificate) she was the widow of someone named Kilduff but I can't find any record of that marriage. I would love to be able to make the Fosbery connection. Any ideas please?

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henrietta FOSBERY b. Limerick 1801
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to roots chat.   www.nationalarchives.ie Tithe Applotment records for Fosbery name in other Limerick locations other than Adare.  www.historicgraves.ie has memorials in Limerick cemeteries for Fosbery. What denomination were the family as the Parish records online at www.registers.nli.ie are RC

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henrietta FOSBERY b. Limerick 1801
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 November 17 22:28 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

I can see the image of their marriage at FindMyPast, but the marriage was in Yorkshire,

28 Dec 1835
Cathedral Church of St Peter & St Paul, Sheffield

Joseph BARKER of this Parish, Bachelor a
and
Henrietta FOSBERY of this parish, Widow
were married in this church by Banns.

Joseph made his mark, Henrietta signed.

Witnesses:  Elizabeth COTTON (her mark),  Joseph HUDSON

In 1841 they have Emma age 4 living with them but I think she was born before the beginning of birth registration in July 1837. By 1851 Henrietta has two more children Benjamin 10 and Fanny 16 living with her, I think these are their births as shown on the GRO site,

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Benjamin BARKER    Jun Q 1840    Worksop Union    15  649   
mmn:  KILLOUFF

Fanny BARKER    Jun Q 1844    Worksop    15  670   
mmn:  - 

It looks possible that Henrietta might have been born a KILLDUFF who then married a FOSBERY and when he died she married Joseph BARKER.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)