Author Topic: Dying Alnwick, Burial Corbridge 1700s/1800s  (Read 2230 times)

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dying Alnwick, Burial Corbridge 1700s/1800s
« on: Tuesday 07 November 17 21:46 GMT (UK) »

I am researching three Mattison brothers- Edward, John and Luke. (Luke is my 4xgt grandfather, 1742-1809)  They were all born and lived their lives in Alnwick. They, their wives, and at least fourteen of their children ( mostly young adults) were buried at Corbridge. ( recorded on familysearch)between 1768 - 1809 They were Methodists.
How long would it have taken to go from Alnwick to Corbridge in those days?
Does anyone know about a Methodist graveyard at Corbridge? Wouldn't there have been one closer to Alnwick?
A secondary question:  Some of these burials are recorded on findmypast as being at St Michael's Alnwick, same date  as the familysearch ones at Corbridge. 
This is confusing. I hope someone can help me with these questions. Jo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dying Alnwick, Burial Corbridge 1700s/1800s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 08:02 GMT (UK) »

Some of these burials are recorded on findmypast as being at St Michael's Alnwick, same date  as the familysearch ones at Corbridge. 
This is confusing. I hope someone can help me with these questions. Jo

I looked on Family Search for the burial of Luke Mattison. It does indeed say he was buried in Corbridge - BUT I think it may well be an error. The film number was 1469102 and the Catalogue entry for that says :

Items, 1 2 - 4: Parish Registers of Corbridge (Northumberland), 1657 -1940

Items 5 - 6: Parish registers of Alnwick 1645 -1915

I'd hazard a guess that the transcription did not take into account the change in parish half way through the film.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Just in case you don't already have it, it looks like Luke Mattison's will and other Mattison wills are available
http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/data/simple.php

Search there and follow the instructions to see and download the documents

Boo

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Hmm, Corbridge is nearly 50 miles from Alnwick by todays roads! I have early Methodists in Lancashire who reputedly walked a dozen miles to chapel, and back again, only to repeat the process in the evening. I would have thought that 50 miles would be rather too far, even for a committed non-conformist :)
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Cristeen & Ticketyboo for your replies. I fairly recently discovered the NE database and have found the wills to be invaluable.
I think you have probably hit on the answer Ticketyboo. Do you think that somehow at least 20 Mattisons with burial dates ranging from 1745- Charles (father of Edward, Luke & John) through 1760s , mostly 1780s/90s to Luke in 1809 could have been mistranscribed as Corbridge. The only way I can think that this happened is if they were grouped together as names in the records regardless of the year they were buried.
I thought I would check the BTs For some reason, although it has the dates I need to look at the Corbridge BTs will not open on my computer. So I looked at Alnwick. The relevant page for Luke's date was damaged, Jane- daughter of Edward, burial- 25.01.1793 is not in the BTs for Alnwick. However Jane 23.01.1793, and Mary, 13.03.1803 both daughters of John  are in the Alnwick BTs. I will look for some of the others but I think that clinches it. I wonder if it is just the Mattisons who have been recorded as Corbridge instead of Alnwick on familysearch?
Just as well I hadn't gone too far down the path of having the bodies transported to Corbridge. I have been looking at some  interesting images of hearses for that time.  Jo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 November 17 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Do you think that somehow at least 20 Mattisons with burial dates ranging from 1745- Charles (father of Edward, Luke & John) through 1760s , mostly 1780s/90s to Luke in 1809 could have been mistranscribed as Corbridge. The only way I can think that this happened is if they were grouped together as names in the records regardless of the year they were buried.

I think that 'all' the Alnwick burial entries (names, dates) were transcribed correctly, but that human error or a computer glitch resulted in the whole lot going into the database as being in Corbridge.

I still have the excel file of the Alnwick BT entries I transcribed for FreeReg. I've done a spot check, looking in the Family Search database for random names of folk that were in the Alnwick burial register and they are all turning up with the right names and dates, but the database results 'say' Corbridge as the parish. I haven't checked every entry, but the sample gives me enough reason to believe there is some sort of error in the database.

There were over 2600 burials in the Alnwick BT Register between 1777 and 1812 and the FS database seems to have them all buried in Corbridge.

Boo

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 November 17 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Boo for doing that spot check. It is good to know that Corbridge is a mistake and I don't need to ponder about it anymore. Thanks Jo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 November 17 19:52 GMT (UK) »
I sent  "contact us" message to Family Search about this, no point in me saying I think I have found an error unless I tell the folk who can look and, if they agree, put it right.

They have replied and said they had run various searches to try to verify what I was describing as an error in the database. They appear to have concluded there may well be something odd about these records. They are passing on the information to those who can review the film content more fully and make corrections  as required.

I have no idea how long that will take but its very good of them to acknowledge my message and investigate :-)

Boo

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 November 17 20:14 GMT (UK) »
That was a good thing to do and encouraging to such get a quick response that showed they are taking it seriously.  Jo