Author Topic: First Ballyeaston Presbyterian Church Registers  (Read 5001 times)

Offline jwaugh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: First Ballyeaston Presbyterian Church Registers
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 December 17 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi KiwiRose

Did you ever contact the church through its website?  If you did you would have contacted me. I have looked back over my emails but dont see anything from you.  I can look up the records for you. Do you have any details of what happened Thomas and Ann's children?

As for EA I don't think its Second Ballyeaston records they have but ours.  Only Issue is they made a big mistake in reading the records. The are claiming the record dates are Baptismal dates but they are really dates of birth. Oh and they never got permission to copy the records.

John Waugh
Stewart, Stuart, Todd, Duncan, Waugh, in Ballyclare, Ballyeaston, Rashee, Cairncastle areas of Antrim, Northern Ireland (Ireland)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 December 17 22:16 GMT (UK) »
KiwiRose,

I looked at the PRONI catalogue of church records. I feel sure that John’s advice is correct.  Ballyeaston 1sts records start in 1814, Ballyeaston 2nds in 1821, so the start date you have suggests it’s the 1st that are on the EA site. It looks as though John can assist you with those records, but if you want to look at the 2nds too, then you may need to ask a researcher to go to PRONI for them. This what PRONI hold for Ballyeaston 2nd:

Baptisms, 1821-61, 1865-7 and 1883-1967;
marriages, 1826-41 and 1845-1936; marriage notices,
1938-2002; burials, 1842-9 and 1901-18; committee
minutes, 1869-1941; session minutes, 1862-1956;
communicants’ lists, 1847-58; accounts, 1893-1903;
seat list, c.1870; list of stipend payers, 1873-91.
Elwyn

Offline TheWhuttle

• RootsChat Senior
  • How many boys?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 December 17 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi KiwiRose,

(At least some of) the Ballyeaston records are up online, courtesy of the efforts of William Fee McKINNEY, Ron COLEMAN and Family Search (aka LDS).

Ref: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=738555.msg5849047#msg5849047

However, their overall coverage & internal consistency may not be secure.

----

You can't ask for anything better than a locally-resident knowledgeable man-power-resource on the ground with access to the records.  Win, Win, Win!

'Tis great to see JW back in action once again.

Capt. Jock
WHITTLEY - Donegore, Ballycraigy, Newtownards, Guernsey, PALI
WHITTLE - Dublin, Glenavy, Muckamore, Belfast; Jamaica; Norfolk (Virginia), Baltimore (Maryland), New York
CHAINE - Ballymena, Muckamore, Larne
EWART, DEWART - Portglenone, Ballyclare
McAFEE, WALKER - Ballyrashane

"You can't give kindness away enough, it keeps coming back to you."
Mark Twain (aka Samuel CLEMENTS) [Family origins from Ballynure, Co. Antrim.]

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help and advice Elwyn, Capt Jock and John Waugh.

I am quite excited that Elwyn and John Waugh believe that the EA site’s Ballyeaston Church records are from the 1st Ballyeaston. It may now be possible to eventually get proof that my circumstantial evidence is correct (or otherwise) and unscramble my Gardner muddle.

Capt Jock,

Ron Coleman’s IGI entries on FamilySearch initially assisted me with my first steps in the search to solve the mystery of my Gardner/McAllister /Elliott family.

I agree that, “You can't ask for anything better than a locally-resident knowledgeable man-power-resource on the ground with access to the records.  Win, Win, Win!”

John Waugh

I contacted the Ballyeaston Presbyterian Church, with your help, around July/ Aug 2015 when you responded to my Gardner/McAllister/Elliott family thread on Rootschat’s Antrim board. You also confirmed the baptismal dates of Thomas and Mary McAllister, children of Anne and Robert McAllister at that time. Thanks to you I was also able to purchase the book, “His House on the Hill.....,” later in 2015. I often refer to the 1813 census appendix for research purposes.

I appreciate your offer to look up records for me.  Other than IGI possibilities, I have no knowledge of the marriages/deaths of the Upper Glenwhirry family of Thomas and Ann Gardner themselves or children, apart from the daughter I believe to be the Ann/e who, in 1828, married Robert McAllister (possibly son of William McAlister of Ballyboley).  I would be especially grateful to learn of the exact date/parents/ witnesses in their 1828 marriage record, and the death details/date c1834 of Robert McAllister.  Any other BMDs of Ann and Robert’s parents/ siblings you came across would be a bonus, but only if you ever have the time and records are quickly and easily found. I am a direct descendant of Anne and Robert McAllister. My research is based on a lot of circumstantial evidence and I would love to prove, or disprove, that I am following the correct branch.

Kind regards,
KiwiRose.
Ireland:
County Antrim: Carrickfergus District: Irwin, McAllister, McNeil, Moore.
County Clare: Barrett.
USA:
Washington State: Moore, Hoyt, Sinclair, Johnson, Palmateer, Larrabee.
California: De Curtoni.
New Zealand: De Cartoni, Lofquist, Harding.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 11:44 GMT (UK) »
I am also a wee bit interested in the Gardner (Gardnier) family myself.  Concerning my own roots, this is what I know:

1.  Jane Gardner of Magheraban married c. 1824 to John M'Cawley of Rashee
2.  Robert McCauley, son of John, m. Elizabeth Service, dau of John Service and
     Sarah Gardner.
3.  David Macauley (1846-1921) son of the above Robert, m. 1. in 1871 at Ballymena 3rd Presbyterian Church to Agnes Gardner; m. 2 in the U.S.A. to Mary A. Campbell.

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Pablo1

I am delighted to learn that there is at least one other person researching their family connections to the Gardner families from the Ballyeaston area of Antrim. The 1813 population census taken by Rev. Samuel Elder lists three other Gardner households as well as the Upper Glenwhirry cluster of four families. It is highly likely that these Gardner families are all related in some way.

You may have already found the Gardner / McAuley information below but just in case I will add it.

There is no Jane Gardner listed as either a child or wife among any Gardner families in the 1813 census.

McAuley families in the 1813 census:
Lower Glenwhirry:  John McAuley aged 39 yrs with Jane (39 yrs) his wife and children aged 9, 8, 5, 3, 6mths. No John.
Ballyboley:  The only John McAuley noted was a 4 year old in the household of farmer Robert McAuley (52 yrs) and wife Jennet (53 yrs). 
Rashee:   No McAuley’s 

I couldn’t figure out the years being referred to but I have come across a Jane Gardiner of Magheraban who married a 30yr old farmer John McCawley of Ardymagh born Braidlee, Glenwherry mentioned in    Full text of "Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland"

My understanding from researching on the internet is that Skerrywhirry is known as Magheraban and it is part of Glenwhirry/Glenwherry, however I may be incorrect.

As mentioned earlier in this thread my interest is in Ann Gardner, possibly daughter of Thomas and Ann Gardner of Upper Glenwhirry and sibling of Sara, Elisabeth, James, Robert, John, Andrew.

Kind regards,
KiwiRose.
Ireland:
County Antrim: Carrickfergus District: Irwin, McAllister, McNeil, Moore.
County Clare: Barrett.
USA:
Washington State: Moore, Hoyt, Sinclair, Johnson, Palmateer, Larrabee.
California: De Curtoni.
New Zealand: De Cartoni, Lofquist, Harding.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 23:13 GMT (UK) »
KiwiRose,
Yes, the John McCawley of Ardymaugh, born Braidlee, should be the husband of Jane Gardner (Gardiner).  I have looked through the proni wills and other sites dealing with the Gardner family, but as with yourself, I have not been able to find the McCauley connections in any other sources on line.  Luckily, though, my branch of the McCauley family emigrated to New York, so their local papers offered some information from the late 1880s onwards.