Author Topic: Two Place names I need help with  (Read 4035 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Two Place names I need help with
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 11:44 GMT (UK) »
On the modern map the farm is called "Six Day Work"

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 January 18 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for the help you have given.

Unfortunately the person I was helping has gone AWOL.

Lesson learnt - I will only ask questions on my own behalf.

Thank you.

Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline Ehodgso

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have that document written in the 1930s. It was written by one of my ancestors. My fifth great grandfather or so is named John Hodgson he was married to Ann Harrison. they lived in Stanhope England they were married 11 February 1792. Please contact me and I can send you the rest of the document, I have it on the computer and I’ve updated it extensively.
I would also like to synchronize our data because you might have information that will help me find John Hodgson and I Ann Harrison’s ancestors.

Offline Ehodgso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 23:07 BST (UK) »
I will also add the following, yes, I think the reference is Burtree Ford. Sisodorgue is a mystery as is
High Ridge. Stanhope is on the Wear river. Weardale and Wearhead are up river from Stanhope.
I’ve been at this history and trying to fill out my family tree for a few years now.
Any help you can give me I would sure appreciate it

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 April 21 20:23 BST (UK) »
(I wrote a careful reply to your question then lost it with a careless tap of my finger. This will not be so careful!) I think we established that Sisodorgue is a scrambled version of Six Dargs or Six Days Work.
The key baptism entry is for Nov. 20th 1802 at St John's Chapel when the Hodgsons brought 4 of their children to be "done" together. The parents are John Hodgson and Ann (nee Harrison) of Six Dargs and the children are John, 2nd son born 1795, Thomas 3rd son, William 4th son and Edward 5th son. Sorry, John's is the only d.o.b I have down.
The other name you are after, I imagine, is High Rigg (not Ridge). In the 1851 census the John who was born in 1795 and was now living in the Bishop Auckland area says he was born at Highrig. if you look at the map Stan posted showing Six Days Work and go in a line south west from that farm you will come to Middle Rigg and then High Rigg. I think there could be another High Rigg slightly further down the dale just to the south of Daddry Shield. Mag
Northumberland: Little, Hogg, Tyers, Reid
Durham: Todd, Lee,
Cumbria: Ross, Ivison, Tyers
Yorkshire North Riding: Pybus, Alderson, Rutherford, Mudd, Wilson
Sussex: Selmes, Ashdown, Freelove, Mitchell

Offline Ehodgso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 April 21 22:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much. 

Offline Ehodgso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 April 21 11:32 BST (UK) »
Where did you find the entry for the baptism of the four kids.  I use family search for records, but they are entered by hand, and sometimes don’t transcribe all the information.... I never found the info you gave me.

Offline Ehodgso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 23 April 21 12:38 BST (UK) »
Talk about a go around, I live in King George Virginia USA.  25 years ago I stopped in Canal Fulton Ohio to see if I could look up some distant relatives.  I mailed 70 letters to their addresses, enclosed a couple pages of our old family history document. Then 25 years later someone in New Zealand gets a request to help someone from the US to look up family history sourced from the two pages I mailed out 25 five years ago. Now I’m getting help from people in America New Zealand and. england,,,, all over....

You all are amazing.  Pooling individual knowledge is helping me solve an old question about my ancestors

Thank you all

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 23 April 21 15:37 BST (UK) »
I got the record from FreeReg, which you will find along with FreeBMD and FreeCen on
freebmd.org.uk
Volunteers, including some people on here, enter information from registers - all the information, so if the register gives a house name the entry will too. There are of course 2 sets of registers - the original ones done close to the event and the Bishop's Registers, which are the neat copies sent in to the diocese. They can differ slightly so it is useful to know which register is being used and best if you can get the info from both.
There is also Durham Records Online for which you pay to get a detailed record of an entry, but which lets you take an overall look at what they have got.   Mag.
Northumberland: Little, Hogg, Tyers, Reid
Durham: Todd, Lee,
Cumbria: Ross, Ivison, Tyers
Yorkshire North Riding: Pybus, Alderson, Rutherford, Mudd, Wilson
Sussex: Selmes, Ashdown, Freelove, Mitchell