Author Topic: Conners Eliza - Australian family mystery any pointers appreciated  (Read 3616 times)

Offline Woodabyna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Conners Eliza - Australian family mystery any pointers appreciated
« on: Wednesday 08 November 17 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I normally don't research my history outside of Australia but I am having trouble placing a 4th ggmother and her daughter, my 3rd ggmother.

Eliza Conners - married William Baker in 1844 in Bathurst, Australia 
on her death cert in 1876 (aged 68) has that her father was William Conners of Dublin - stone cutter and mother Margaret. Also she had been in the colony for 44 years so arrived about 1832. Born abt 1808.

Her daughter Mary Anne Conners and sister Jane, I assume, were born out of wedlock and possibly under another name as I can not find births or immigration records for them or their mother Eliza.

Mary Anne is listed as both Conners and Baker alternatively throughout her life supporting the fact that she was a step child.

Any pointers on researching family history in Dublin or Ireland in general would be most helpful.

Many thanks
Hayley
Main family interests are Vagg and Rowe. Also Lavers, Huckel, Barraclough. All families were in Australia, NSW, VIC and WA.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Conners Eliza - Australian family mystery any pointers appreciated
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 07:43 GMT (UK) »

"..Mary Anne Conners and sister Jane"

How are their origins recorded on their marriage certificates, death certificates......birth certificates of their children.  What certificates do you have. If you know their origins, you would know where mother Mary Ann CONNERS was when they were born.

Can you list all the information on the death certificate, 1876,  please.

Offline Woodabyna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Eliza Bakers (Conners) death certificate - 2 previous children are not listed as assumed husband took issue of marriage to be only his own. However on his death cert it lists 1 male, 4 females living and 1 male, 1 female deceased (which died after Eliza) which adds weight to previous children before wedlock or different father.
Main family interests are Vagg and Rowe. Also Lavers, Huckel, Barraclough. All families were in Australia, NSW, VIC and WA.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 11:00 GMT (UK) »
You could look at www.irishgenealogy.ie which has church records in Dublin  :)

Offline Woodabyna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 12:13 GMT (UK) »
thanks I will suss it out.  :)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Eliza Conners - married William Baker in 1844 in Bathurst, Australia 
on her death cert in 1876 (aged 68) has that her father was William Conners of Dublin - stone cutter and mother Margaret. Also she had been in the colony for 44 years so arrived about 1832. Born abt 1808.

FTR I note that the document shows her father's name as John CONNORS for anyone searching
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Bathurst Free Press and Mining Journal 28 Jul 1855 p3
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?
This newspaper article has a list of donors for the construction of St Michaels, Bathurst.

Mr BAKER, Pepper Creek
Mrs BAKER
Agnes and S BAKER
Eliza BAKER
Masters J and W BAKER

This sounds like your family. From the death certificate, 1876, there are two daughters born before the 1844 marriage...Betsey and Agnes. This Betsey is probably Eliza (above) and called Betsey to distinguish her from mother Eliza.

If you are researching the origins of Eliza CONNERS you need details about her life in Australia before her 1844 marriage, then look for information in Ireland.

Do you have marriage and death details for Betsey and Agnes.........how are their origins recorded on their marriage and death records..........when and where were they born?

Can you please respond to my questions in reply#1.........birth year and birth places for Mary Anne CONNERS and sister Jane.

What certificates do you have for BDM events in this family?.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 November 17 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Here is the 1844 marriage.  Please note that family search has inadvertently placed a number of NSW marriages from that era into "Tasmania".   This marriage is for Bathurst, NSW. 
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTC8-PN1   There will be scant info on the actual parish register, but it may (depending on if she was a minor) note the name of the person consenting to her marriage (perhaps her father?)  At family search Eliza's surname is noted as CONNORS. 

NSW BDM has indexed this marriage twice, one should be a transmitted record.  At NSW BDM Eliza's surname is noted as CONNORS.   I note that the Early Church Code of LG is for St Michaels (Roman Catholic) at Bathurst-Kelso.   Vol 94 is definitely Roman Catholic. 
1844 NSW BDM
BAKER William and CONNORS Eliza vol 94, line 285 and vol 94, line 258

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 November 17 03:55 GMT (UK) »
I should also note that civil registrations for bdm in NSW commence from March 1856.  Earlier listings at NSW BDM online are part of their holdings for Early Church Records, which, simply put, are not complete.  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.