Author Topic: Conners Eliza - Australian family mystery any pointers appreciated  (Read 3617 times)

Offline Woodabyna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Conners Eliza - Australian family mystery any pointers appreciated
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 November 17 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your responses. It is a tricky one to explain so I will do my best.

I come into the line with Ester Rowe/Smith
Smith being an impossible name took us many years to find her parents as we could find no birth record for her. However we finally found her listed in the family of James and Mary Anne Smith of Kings Plains (Blayney) NSW.

On many of Mary Annes childrens births she is either listed as Mary Anne Conne/or/s or Baker, born Windsor or Campbells (Campbells Creek near Rockley is where the Baker family lived).
Some of Mary Annes children had her sisters names (Jane, Agnes).

I can not find a birth listing for Mary Ann Baker/Conne/or/s
On her death certificate it lists father William Baker and Mother Elizabeth Connors.

The only certificate I have is for Eliza and Williams marriage as listed above. The second listing on NSW BDM is a mistake as it for another couple. 285/258

Her daughter Jane has only mother as Eliza on the NSW BDM listing at time of death (she married Francis Press and her half sister married another brother).

My guessing is that Eliza came out as a Bounty immigrant and had 2 children out of wedlock and then met William Baker most likely while working at Summer Hill (owned by a Irishman) at Peppers Creek (Rockley). Had a further 2 children out of wedlock with William before they were married.

So I will try the Ireland records and see if I can locate a Eliza or Elizabeth Conne/or/s with parents John and Margaret.

Thanks again for the input, gotta love a challenge for skeletons in the cupboard. 
Hayley
Main family interests are Vagg and Rowe. Also Lavers, Huckel, Barraclough. All families were in Australia, NSW, VIC and WA.

Offline Woodabyna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 November 17 03:17 GMT (UK) »
opps still didn't answer your first questions;

Birth for Mary Anne is about 1834 and for Jane about 1839 but I think earlier for her., given she married in 1853.
Main family interests are Vagg and Rowe. Also Lavers, Huckel, Barraclough. All families were in Australia, NSW, VIC and WA.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 November 17 04:27 GMT (UK) »

Can you please identify (NSW BDM) the marriage of James SMITH and your  Mary Anne.

Also births of their children.

Offline Woodabyna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 November 17 06:31 GMT (UK) »
I think i have them all listed on my Ancestry tree which I have opened publicly

Im not sure if this link will work but will try

https://www.ancestry.com.au/family-tree/person/tree/100788773/person/330005042004/facts

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 November 17 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Hayley, you say you are "guessing that Eliza came out as a Bounty immigrant"

Bounty immigrants are well documented so, if your guess is correct, you should be able to substantiate that.  Bounty documents sometimes give parents' names, as well as other information about the migrant.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Woodabyna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 November 17 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dawn, I have sussed it out but nothing definite, a few possibles.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 November 17 21:45 GMT (UK) »
The only certificate I have is for Eliza and Williams marriage as listed above. The second listing on NSW BDM is a mistake as it for another couple. 285/258 ....

Hi there,

Re the two marriage entries at NSW BDM for William BAKER and Eliza CONNORS in 1844.   Are you saying that there were TWO chaps named William BAKER in NSW in 1844 who married lasses BOTH who were named Eliza CONNORS, both ceremonies were Roman Catholic?   

:) From the NSW BDM marriage record how do you know which couple were ‘yours’? 
 :) How have you determined the NSW BDM second listing is a mistake?
 :) How have you confirmed that one entry is simply NOT a transmitted copy of the other, thereby conforming to the usual practice of that era in NSW as per NSW Governor requirements dating back to 1810? 

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/births-deaths-and-marriages-registers-1787-1856 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Woodabyna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 November 17 07:46 GMT (UK) »
A lady at our local library showed me how to look up early records on the micofilm, from the V numbers, for free and the second number was for a totally different couple with different names. I had assumed, either wrongly or not, that it was just a dyslectic typo with 285 and 258 and hence the double up.

I will check it out again when I am back in town with spare time. 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 13 November 17 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

If it turns out that the online index for NSW BDM has (yet another) flawed entry, please do send them an email alert.  They can take months to update the online index, but they do eventually get around to it. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.