Author Topic: Elizabeth Cressy born 1849, Brockhall  (Read 891 times)

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Cressy born 1849, Brockhall
« on: Wednesday 08 November 17 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Cressy's birth was registered Q1 Daventry, she was born in Brockhall village where her father was the butler at Brockhall House.

All of his other children born at Brockhall were baptised at Brockhall Church which seems to have been in the grounds of Brockhall House but I can't find Elizabeth's baptism record. Cressy was spelt like this or as Cressey but Elizabeth's registration was as Cressy as were her preceding sister and succeeding two sisters.

Can anyone help with Elizabeth's baptism please.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Cressy born 1849, Brockhall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I've had a look at the baptisms on line for Brockhall and the years 1849 and 1850 are missing.There is only one baptism for 1846,1848 and 1851 so it's possible that the Vicar failed to make a note of any baptisms and pass them on to the Archbishop.
You could phone up Northants archives and ask but I'd assume she was baptised there and the record has been lost.

Ciderdrinker

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, that explains the missing record.  Brockhall was and still is a small village and I suspect that most of the congregation in Elizabeth's time were people employed by the 'big house' like her father.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 15:38 GMT (UK) »
I've looked at Elizabeth's sibling's baptisms, one was in 1846, Mary, and another, Margaret in 1851 so I guess that's the two recorded.

Elizabeth's birth was registered in Q1 1849 so I suspect that the 1848 baptism was hers.  Is it possible for you to check that for me please or point me to where I can look it up - I'm not familiar with the Northamptonshire records as all my ancestors are in the south of England.

One of my cousins has inherited, via an aunt, some of Louisa Cressy's jewellery and watches and I'm trying to establish provenance for her for insurance purposes, Louisa was one of Elizabeth's sisters. Both of us vaguely remember before she died in 1953 just a few months short of her 100th birthday.  I'm trying to give my cousin Louisa's ancestry, including siblings as she had a very interesting and unusual upbringing as did her husband so it makes interesting reading.

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry has only the Bishop's Transcripts for Brockhall. This suggests that the original parish register is still being used in the church. The baptism of Elizabeth may well be in the register.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 November 17 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I'll see if I can find a contact point for the church and see if anyone can have a quick look for me, don't think there would have been too many baptisms there to be waded through especially as I know the year and it was probably right at the end of that year if her birth registration was in Q1 of 1849.