Author Topic: Hartington History Ancestry Group  (Read 6798 times)

Offline Youngy1981

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hartington History Ancestry Group
« on: Wednesday 08 November 17 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone a week ago i joined an Ancestry Group in my local village which is Hartington and we are looking to see if there are any living descendants from the village. We are hoping to show the villagers and tourists about the village history. We know it's a long shot but are hoping to get some help.

We know that there were some famous / people of interest from our village who did well for themselves. We only started out a week ago and as I've been doing a little research. all i have is below.

1.William Smith, a village craftsman made the W.G.Grace Memorial Gates at Lord`s cricket ground, and the Spa bandstand at Scarborough. He also designed the War Memorial at the foot of Hall Bank which was unveiled by the Duchess of Devonshire in 1924.

2. Frank Redfern (1838-76) was a talented sculptor who was brought up in the village and later moved to London where he worked on the Albert Memorial. Examples of his work can also be seen in the cathedrals of Salisbury, Bristol, Ely and Gloucester.

3. John Oliver was born in Church View Cottage in 1856, the son of a local lead miner. When the mine closed in 1870 the family emigrated to Canada where John worked as a navvy on the Canadian Pacific Railway before becoming a farmer and then a politician. He entered politics as a Liberal and became Prime Minister of British Columbia in 1921, a post he held until his death in 1927.

4. Another famous resident was Prince Obelenski, the Russian nobleman who played rugby for England and scored two tries in a match against the New Zealand All Blacks! Prince & Princess Obelenski had fled Russia during the 1917 revolution and lived for a time at Dove Cottage.

5.The Perry family built and opened the Silent Picture House in 1926, later it became the Amusement Hall before eventually being purchased by the village in the early 1940`s and becoming the Village Hall.

As i said it's only just started so any help would be greatly appreciate by the group.
Young, Bland, Glossop, Warrington, Rowland, Ball, Gregory, Howsley, Higton, Miller, Laidlaw, Walker, Cairns, Turnbull, Bell, Chadwick, Bradbury, Gould, Harvey, Webster.

From, Cumberland (Cumbria), Derbyshire, Rostrevor, Kilkee, USA, Australia,

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hartington History Ancestry Group
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 November 17 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Donna?..I'm glad i found you on here..because its by far the easiest place to communicate..and just add bits and bobs.FB is a nightmare for trying to find a way back to the original Thread with all the side bits being added and growing into new threads.........so look for me on here.
Derek.

P.S we have been to Hartington on more than one occasion, and are always out and about in Derbyshire. My family originated in Ashford-in-the- Water (via the Picts and/or Scots!)
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Youngy1981

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 November 17 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek, i keep forgetting i'm on here. Yes facebook is quite annoying for hiding posts. I'm not exactly sure of some of the surnames we are looking for but possibly Redfern as in James Redfern the sculptor, I believe that there are Harrisons, Halls are Hartington names. I believe that the Market Place or square start near the corner house and around to the british legion.
Young, Bland, Glossop, Warrington, Rowland, Ball, Gregory, Howsley, Higton, Miller, Laidlaw, Walker, Cairns, Turnbull, Bell, Chadwick, Bradbury, Gould, Harvey, Webster.

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 November 17 20:13 GMT (UK) »
I have over 200 years of Needham families from the 1600s to mid-1800s that came from Hartington Upper Quarter -- many of whom were baptised, married, or buried in the Parish Church

What sort of info are you looking for?
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Youngy1981

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 November 17 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marmalady

the info that we are looking for is where they lived, their jobs and families etc, Needhams that could be a great start for us.

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 November 17 21:38 GMT (UK) »
There is no sign of any Perry family in the Parish Records 1610-1910..nor in the censuses 1841 -1911..so if they did indeed work in Hartington in 1926..they arrived in the village after 1911.....and without first names I cannot search further. I am now looking at ant notable Halls amd harrisons..........
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Youngy1981

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 November 17 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Derek will look up some more surnames. Also I believe that one of the Hall's owned the butchery which is now the Beresford Tea Rooms & Post Office.

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 November 17 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marmalady

the info that we are looking for is where they lived, their jobs and families etc, Needhams that could be a great start for us.

Ok -- i'll put some info together as soon as I can!

Do you have an email address I can send it too -- or somewhere in Hartington where I can drop it off ?
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Youngy1981

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 November 17 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Marmalady

I do have an email address its (*)

This information will be of very much use and very appreciated

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.