Author Topic: Hartington History Ancestry Group  (Read 6800 times)

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hartington History Ancestry Group
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 November 17 21:01 GMT (UK) »
THe Harrison's married into or with the Wardle's and tye present day tea Rooms..with the 19th century Post box outside is, or was, until recently.pwned by sub-postmistress SUE WARDLE........Thanks to a combination of Parish records and censuses i am able to tell you almost all the Teachers,butchers,drapers,sawyers.clergymen and associated tradespeople and professionals who lived in Hartingon in the 18th and 19th centuries...and where they lived...BUT...the problem is matching up present addresses with the older ones............For instance an address of some note is "Wye Head"..very posh!!.....in the Hartington PR's (Ollerenshaw.clergyman)..except that today Wye Head comes under Buxton!..Hartington used to be three parishes..and you'l find that a lot of Hartington folk lived in Upper/Town.or Lower Hartington.......These days some of these areas are in Buxton or Earl Sterndale.......But I can certainly give you 18th and 19th Century names and addresses.....Derek.
The Hopes.Harrisons and Olivers ALL married into the Wardles at some time or another!
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Youngy1981

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 November 17 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Wow Derek thats amazing. I know Sue Wardle or as shes known by Sue Bruce. I see what you mean with matching up with where they lived. I was looking for a soilder who my mum knew or knows some of desendants. Littlewood or lightwood and peach appeared, (the surnames). That would be wonderful any information is appreciated.my sister in laws brother is engaged to a Wardle.
Young, Bland, Glossop, Warrington, Rowland, Ball, Gregory, Howsley, Higton, Miller, Laidlaw, Walker, Cairns, Turnbull, Bell, Chadwick, Bradbury, Gould, Harvey, Webster.

From, Cumberland (Cumbria), Derbyshire, Rostrevor, Kilkee, USA, Australia,

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 November 17 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Here's a rags to riches story right on your doorstep!!..the background story of the man who rose from lowly lead miner to Prime minister of British Columbia in Canada! There' a rather grand pic of him around somewhere!
JOHN OLIVER Baptised 24.08.1856 son of Robert Oliver (a "Lead and Stone" miner) and his wife Emma Lomas who he married at Hartington 19.05.1856 by Licence...John was one of five children.

Robert Oliver father of John was one of SIX illegitimate children of one ALICE OLIVER, by three different men over 14 years. Robert was the last baptised 30.06.1833..and Aice had the last three children by John Allen.to of whom died as infants within their first year.
Alice was buried at Hartington24.11.1875 aged 80..she never married..and in 1871 she was living on Parish relief having originally been a charwoman..
John, as you know, was born IN Church Cottages.....in 1861 the family address was on HYDE LANE..so now we know where to find Church Cottages..............Some story eh????

Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 November 17 22:30 GMT (UK) »
In answer to your last Post..which crossed in the Post!! heehee!!

The Hartington give ONE Littlewood Baptism.........that of MARIA LIITLEWOOD baptised 02.10.1690 daughter of Leonardi and Jane..if that is any relation to you then good luck linking up!!
On the other hand..I have 21 PEACH baptisms up to 1911..which may well be of some use to you..the latest are two brothers..sons of JOSEPH PEACH..a Tailor of Hartington............both of whom married in 1906/7.Frank Peach married Elizabeth Sutton 12.06.1907..and Joe Peach who married Ellen Phillips 27.12.1906..............There is a pretty solid line of Tailors called Peach..who lived at High Bank and by 1911 Market Place........

Offline Youngy1981

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 November 17 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Oh my goodness that's a lot of information i have to copy down for tonight (ancestry group meets tonight) Ah good i shall look up Littlewood and the others.

Wow had not the faintest idea about the Oliver family but yes as you say rags to riches story. The story about the illegitimate children is very interesting.

Is their any information on the Hope family who built the Village Stores as well?

Walter Peach was an assistant cheese maker in the 1911 census i gather that was before he was enlisted to the army and he lived on Market Place, So I assume that would be one of the cottages at the side of the Village store today.
Young, Bland, Glossop, Warrington, Rowland, Ball, Gregory, Howsley, Higton, Miller, Laidlaw, Walker, Cairns, Turnbull, Bell, Chadwick, Bradbury, Gould, Harvey, Webster.

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 November 17 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Donna............I am searching for a 19th century map of Hartington...I also have some old Postcards of the village..which I'll try and send you..when I find out how!! In the meantime I'll do a job on the HOPES..there are plenty of them!! I like building up Trees!! Do you have a tree that need extending?.......if your forebears are on the 1911 I can work the oracle!!..Incidentally the Old Cheese shop still exists..so its a fair bet that Walter Peach was there!!

Offline Youngy1981

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 November 17 12:58 GMT (UK) »
morning Derek, I live just behind the Cheese Shop. My dad originates from Youlgreave and my mum from Biggin which is approx 2 miles from Hartington so i believe that will come under Hartington

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 November 17 21:35 GMT (UK) »
 have now got an unbroken line of Popes from 1758 to 1911....... the earliest Pope is Peter son of Peter and Maria (nee Buxton) 27.12.1660..but there's then a gap.....not that any of them stand out except they are all Tailors.Mercers.Drapers,Grocers..which you'd expect from the family that built the Market Hall.
You say your father's family is from Youlgreave..just happens to be another of my PR's..have been there many times...so if there is any link that you now of between you Father's name and the 1911 census..then i can get into the early days of the PR's..same goes for you mother and family at Biggin...but I need their surnames and dates....mind you,if you've got that all sorted, you won't need me

Your list of  notable names should include CHARLES COTTON  friend and colleague of Sir Isaak Walton of "Compleat Angler" fame. In fact Charles Cotton wrote more than half the book..and was a notable writer poet and Fisherman in his own right. His Fishing lodge still exists on the bank of the River Dove..........more soon. Derek

Offline Youngy1981

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 13 November 17 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Derek, a great help although sad to say only 3 of us tonight

I've got the names of some of my parents on both sides but there seems to have gaps in but i will look into the names that i've got gaps for there,

Ooh the Popes that's one that came up in conversation tonight but i never thought on it.  We have the information about Charles Cotton as the pub is still in the Village and that has been done but i believe Sir Isaak Walton is one to be done. I'll not be doing that i'm more into finding the names and the business etc for them. I don't mind at all. (Just frustrates me when i've been researching for someone all night only to have been told that's already been done)

I'll copy the Pope's down in the morning, maybe that is one that i could look into next. I don't think that there are any ancestors in Hartington from the Pope family.