Author Topic: Frithelstock, Devon War Memorial:F & S Squire - indentification  (Read 142 times)

Offline MrsSelfPub

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frithelstock, Devon War Memorial:F & S Squire - indentification
« on: Wednesday 08 November 17 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Listed on the war memorial in the tiny village of Frithelstock, Devon there are two Squires: F and S.  As a mark of respect, I am trying to find out more about them.
I think they may be Frederick Squire b1889 and Sydney Squire b1893 from 1911 Census but I cannot find their deaths listed in any WW1 records.  There are other Squires but the details don't match up.

Does anybody have any tips or information on how I may be able to identify them and where they may be buried?

I have Squires in Frithelstock in my tree in the 1800s until they moved to south Wales in the late 1800s but some of the family remained and I am wondering if these two Squires were related to me.

Many thanks
Mason-Norfolk
Maidment-Norfolk,Hampshire,Wiltshire,London
Moffat-Glasgow,Liverpool,Massachussets,Pennsylvania,Montreal,Ireland
Downing-Liverpool
Phillips-Cardiff,Newport
Chapman-Newport
Squire-Devon

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frithelstock, Devon War Memorial:F & S Squire - indentification
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Commonwealth War Graves Commission (www.cwgc.org) has:

Lance Corporal S. Squire
16th Bn (Royal Devon & North Devon Yeomanry), Devonshire Regiment
Died 1st July 1917
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Army records have a Sydney Squire with Frithlestock as a place of birth - he was born c 1860 though and attested 1893  4th Battalion Devonshire regiment  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 November 17 00:28 GMT (UK) »
A picture of the monument: http://www.devonheritage.org/Places/Frithelstock/images/dsc_8983.jpg
The Squires are listed on the side under "Roll of Honour".

This link: https://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101436269-frithelstock-war-memorial-frithelstock#.WgOgT4hrzIU  says that the Roll of Honour side of the monument are the local boys that served but came home.