Author Topic: John Proudfoot  (Read 1295 times)

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Proudfoot
« on: Wednesday 08 November 17 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I wonder if anyone can help. I have a Peter Proudfoot born in Lanark, Scotland in 1875 in later census returns his mother changes his name to John. He is shown as a Butcher boy in 1891. The last relative that knew of him advised that he went to Chicago and was not heard of again this was in the late 1890's. I had seen a John Proudfoot in Chicago via family search but he was a hammerman and so I discounted him until recently. There has been a recent breakthrough through a Scottish newspaper article in which a husband divorces his wife naming a Proudfoot, Butcher as the other party and that he had gone to Chicago with this mans wife. When I checked the John Proudfoot Hammerman, the name of his wife ties up with the divorcee in Falkirk, Scotland. Her husband divorced her in her absence. The lady in question Janet Hardie Dawson married John Proudfoot in Cook County on 30 July 1898. His naturalisation record on Family Search is virtually the same birth date as my relative, 14th as opposed to 13th of the month, birth place as Wishaw, my relative lived in Wishaw but the birth was in Lanark so very close to the area. We cannot prove that it is the same person as there is no mention of his mothers name or any other information on the naturalisation record 1918 which is a card and not the full document. There isn't a document of the marriage either which again generally records the name of the mother and father if known. Ancestry only provides their names and date of marriage. He died in Cooks County 9 March 1948. Is there anyone that could check either the full naturalisation document, marriage certificate or death certificate to see if a mothers name is recorded?  or any other information that links him back to his Scottish family? His mother should be recorded as Jane Proudfoot and his father William Campbell (although I am not sure he knew his name) on official documents. There is no source to confirm I have attached to the correct John Proudfoot on Familysearch without the evidence to back it up. Thank you for any help.
Lang, Campbell, Proudfoot, Bell, More, Macguigan, McAlinden, Young, Hyman, Hayman, Hyndman, McMillan

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Proudfoot
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 19:41 GMT (UK) »
A transcription of the death record is here, but no parents' names are included - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2MZ-K9D7 

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 20:01 GMT (UK) »
There is an obituary for John Proudfoot in the Chicago South End Reporter.  It says he was a retired hammersmith born Dec. 17, 1875 in Wishaw, Scotland and had lived in Roseland for 40 years.  His wife, children, and 6 grandchildren were mentioned, but nothing about family in Scotland. 

He is on an index of declarations of intentions to naturalize here - http://www.cookcountyclerkofcourt.org/NR/default.aspx - and it says he was born 14 Dec. 1875 in Lanark, Scotland.  That site gives information about ordering the declaration.

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Shelly

Thank you for the information. I had found the details referred to on FamilySearch and Ancestry and believe there is enough evidence to confirm he is our relative because so much ties up. However  my cousin is of the view that we need confirmation by way of reference to his mother and I think this may be on one of the documents mentioned in my post.

Thank you again for responding.
Lang, Campbell, Proudfoot, Bell, More, Macguigan, McAlinden, Young, Hyman, Hayman, Hyndman, McMillan

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 21:17 GMT (UK) »
I doubt that there would be parents' names on a marriage record from that time frame.  This - https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Illinois,_Cook_County_Deaths_(FamilySearch_Historical_Records) says that parents' names were added to death records after 1916, but it's possible that they weren't known by the informant. 

The naturalization record probably won't mention parents either, but I have seen some that mention a name that the person was previously known as.  The naturalization records may mention a ship name or where he sailed to/from.  The passenger lists from then unfortunately have little personal info, but it may give a bit of a clue for you.

Either way, I think these records will need to be purchased as I don't think they are currently online.

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your further reply Shelly.

I followed the link to Cooks County and found that Lanark is recorded as his birth place. On Family Search it was recorded as Wishaw. Lanark is definitely where our relative was born. So for me this is further confirmation that we have the correct Proudfoot but I will continue to pursue the documents in the hope that a mother is mentioned.

In the UK records are reasonably priced, the US records seem to be quite expensive though.

Thank you again the link has been very useful.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 21:50 GMT (UK) »
His obituary lists 2 sons and 2 daughters.  Because I don't know their living status, I will not name them.  However, if you use familysearch, put in John Proudfoot and Janet Hardie.  There will be a birth in Chicago for one of the children, which mentions the parents names.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 22:04 GMT (UK) »
There is also a listing for Jeanette Proudfoot's death which says her father's surname was Hardie: 

https://tinyurl.com/y954ussv

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Genealiza.

It was a relative of Jeanette Hardie that provided the article covering the divorce from her first husband in Scotland but sadly she had no information re John Proudfoot that she could help me with.