Author Topic: Greigs of Aberdeen/Banff  (Read 1033 times)

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I Find More Brick Walls Than A Builder
    • View Profile
Greigs of Aberdeen/Banff
« on: Wednesday 08 November 17 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Trying to start my wife's Family Tree and of course its quite a common name in Aberdeenshire.
Her father was George Wood Greig b:1921 married to Patricia Isabel Simpson b:1925 he was one of 10 children to his father also a George Wood Greig b: 1896 Boyndie, Banffshire and mother Lilian Niven McRae b:1896 Turiff. George Wood Greig's father was William Greig b:1853 and married to Eliza Ann Cruickshank b:1858 William's father was James Greig b: n/k married to Ann Howat.
The uncles and aunts of my wife are Jean, Colin, Carlie, William, Mary, Phylis, Lilian, Alfred and Hazel. It would be great if I could just find out when they were born to make a start on the tree, followed eventually by their marriages. Any assistance with this tree would be most appreciated. Thank you in anticipation.
Allard/Allwood/Alwood/ From Suffolk
Wright/Croftwright/ From London
Langmaid/ from Lanteglos By Fowey
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greigs of Aberdeen/Banff
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Have you got approximate years of birth for them, and has your wife got contact with any of her cousins, to help her with more information?

How many of them are still alive, and have they all stayed in Scotland?

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 November 17 00:49 GMT (UK) »
If you put surname Greig with mother's maiden name McRae into Scotlandspeople you will get deaths for six of them. All but Colin had middle names so that, along with their ages, should help you find their birth entries.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 November 17 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Only one survives, Charles, but he has very little information. To be honest a cousin requested of my wife along with 21 other cousins, permission to transfer ownership of her grandfather and grandmothers 'lair' ( grave plot) so as her morhers ashes may be placed in the same grave. So hence why we now need to put together the family tree and note all these cousins of the uncles and aunties.
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 November 17 00:57 GMT (UK) »
I Know that only Charles survives and that Hazel died when she was very young, around five or six I believe and is buried with her mother and father in the 'lair'. If their deaths are known and recorded their births must also be.
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 November 17 07:13 GMT (UK) »
When you have found as many of the births as you can from scotlandspeople, then ask us to help you find the missing ones.

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

You need to register for free to start, and then buy credits to find more information if necessary.

If the cousin who requested permission of your wife about the burial plot claimed 21 cousins, then that cousin must have lots of information.