Author Topic: DNA Expert needed please  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA Expert needed please
« on: Thursday 09 November 17 10:37 GMT (UK) »
I have a "match" on Gedmatch Genesis with someone who shares 60 small matches spread fairly evenly across all chromosomes.  Two are in the 6-7 range.  We have a 7cm match on X and many smaller ones. I feel this is too many to be accidental.  We also have shared surnames and locations.  As a beginner I would appreciate some advice as to whether to pursue this or not.
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Expert needed please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 November 17 19:07 GMT (UK) »
How many SNPs are those shared segments?   

Which companies did you and the other tester use?

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 November 17 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Info at bottom of results says
Largest segment 6.2
Total 1/2 matches 232.3
593701 snps used
74.9 snps full identical

Results boxes individually added up come to a total of 233.9 cm and we both used Living DNA.
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 November 17 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Firstly, I am not an expert.

It does seem to me to be quite a large total shared DNA, but the longest segment is less than 7cM.  The fact that you both tested at the same company means whatever result is more reliable whereas if  you compare a LivingDNA kit with a FamilyTreeDNA kit only 149,000 SNPs are compared due to the differences in SNPs each company includes.

Multiple small segments can mean you're from an endogamous population of some sort.

Any chance of a screen shot with no names etc?