Author Topic: Women Factory Workers in WWII, Were they eligable for a medal?  (Read 840 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Women Factory Workers in WWII, Were they eligable for a medal?
« on: Thursday 09 November 17 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Just asking a quick question for a friend, I've had a search around and can't find a answer  ::)

My friends Mother in Law worked on Aircraft engine parts (testing them) at a factory in Blackpool during the second World War, would she have been eligible for any kind of medal for this type of work or was it just a job that women did and not a reserved occupation as such?

Many thanks for any input and as always my very best regards.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Women Factory Workers in WWII, Were they eligable for a medal?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 November 17 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Women were in reserved occupations as well as men. My mother was in a reserved occupation with a brute of a foreman who bullied all the women. My mother stood up to him and told him she was leaving. He laughed at her and told her she couldn't leave, she'd have to come back. My mother joined the ATS which was the only thing that she was allowed to do to release her from the reserved occupation on her old job.

My father made parts for spitfires at Castle Bromwich from 1938 and he was in a reserved occupation. He got no medals for his work.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 November 17 13:53 GMT (UK) »
One can certainly find civilians awarded medals for acts of bravery (example 1943 the BEM (civil division) Miss Jenkins assistant to the sub postmaster in Blackweir Cardiff saving two people from a fire and a farmer who went to the aid of a crashed airman).

There were also the "well done thou good and faithful servant" awards: Example - Coventry Evening Telegraph Jun 1941 - Kings Birthday honours - "....scores of men and women connected with civil defence, war industry and public administration are honoured".

There is even a book  - Ebay - "Honour the Civilians"

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 November 17 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, many thanks to you both for the replies, I think my friend was under the impression her mother in law may have been eligible for the Defence Medal, or something along those lines.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 November 17 15:54 GMT (UK) »
When you look here she wouldn't qualify on the work she did - like my father didn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_Medal_(United_Kingdom)
GEDmatch M157477

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 November 17 16:11 GMT (UK) »
When you look here she wouldn't qualify on the work she did - like my father didn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_Medal_(United_Kingdom)

Many thanks medlap, that seems to answer my question 🙂

Frank.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 November 17 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Sorry medpat predictive text is the devils work.

Frank.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 November 17 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Women's Land Army and forestry workers ("Lumberjills") were awarded badges in recent years.
Cowban