Author Topic: William Davies/Davis 1848 Ruabon  (Read 6394 times)

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Davies/Davis 1848 Ruabon
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 12 November 17 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Despair i got confused he was born in 1848!
Calow Clowne, Eaton, Bott, Derbyshire, Airey, Cleasby, Cannon, Willis, North Yorkshire, Kelk, Ogley, Sharp, Gillot, Jillott, Ibberson, Littlewood, Watson, Eyre, Townend, Booth, Ambler, Hanson, Kenyon, Sellars/Sellers, Yorkshire, Skidmore, Parker, Nottinghamshire, Walker, Earl, Howard Cambridgeshire, Halden Milwich Staffordshire and Brent Pelham Hertfordshire,

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 18 November 17 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Bit of an update on this.

I ordered the birth certificate for the only illegitimate William Davies in the time frame.

Well it arrived and perhaps unsurprisingly it is the little boy in the workhouse. His mother is the Margaret Davies who is in the workhouse with him born 1818, Wrexham.

Sadly he was born in the Union Workhouse 31st October 1847, so was he there for over two years?

The slightly odd thing is that the census gives his birth as Ruabon, but Margaret's as Wrexham and the Thomas Davies (who may be Margaret's father) is also Ruabon.

I am now struggling to find Margaret in any census other than 1851, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

It could also be helpful to find Thomas born 1785.
Calow Clowne, Eaton, Bott, Derbyshire, Airey, Cleasby, Cannon, Willis, North Yorkshire, Kelk, Ogley, Sharp, Gillot, Jillott, Ibberson, Littlewood, Watson, Eyre, Townend, Booth, Ambler, Hanson, Kenyon, Sellars/Sellers, Yorkshire, Skidmore, Parker, Nottinghamshire, Walker, Earl, Howard Cambridgeshire, Halden Milwich Staffordshire and Brent Pelham Hertfordshire,

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 18 November 17 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Looks like a real possible, Jo. 

The problem is that the 1841 is not available for the Wrexham area (including Ruabon) and Thomas Davies is not unusual.  I do have the 1841 transcripts for the 2 Wrexham urban wards which were discovered by accident a while ago and produced in booklet form only.  I'll see if anything looks promising in them.

Do you think Margaret might be Thomas's daughter?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 18 November 17 18:35 GMT (UK) »
I think she may be given that they are all three listed together on the census and William being Margaret's son. There is an Elizabeth Davies listed also, but not with them so it seems they were clumped together for a reason.

It's all a bit hopeless because this still isn't really enough proof that this William is my ancestor.