Author Topic: George Forster Stevenson Help with Naval Seamans Service record please  (Read 435 times)

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Forster Stevenson Help with Naval Seamans Service record please
« on: Thursday 09 November 17 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone
I  have attached this chap's record as it will be easier to understand my question. The Navy register shows the last ship he served on was Impregnable on 29 Oct 1891. It is the next part of his service I would like clarified. It then has the Caledonia from 30 Oct 1891 with no end date as a Boy. Then the following line has (I think it reads) roic in the rating column and then across to the period 8 Dec 91 or 92 until 14 March 1893. Character IND and then Shore services no longer required.
Can someone tell me what the abbreviation roic stands for and also what the character type Ind stands for. I realise he obviously didn't make the grade. Can anyone also tell me what type of criteria they would use in their selection.
Thanks in advance
KK

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: George Forster Stevenson Help with Naval Seamans Service record please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 November 17 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Character ind would be indifferent.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AncestryPete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 November 17 16:50 GMT (UK) »
The entry at the bottom is B1C for Boy 1st Class, promoted 8 Dec 1892.

With an INDIFFERENT character shown whilst still on the strength of Training Ships he would have been discharged as far more would have been expected of a lad at that time. If he was inclined to be cheeky or lazy, or inclined to petty transgressions of discipline, the RN would not bother with him if there seemed little likelihood of improvement and would simply discharge him and engage another in his place.

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 November 17 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for both the replies. You have confirmed what I thought may be the case. He ended up drowning in 1893 trying to swim where he shouldn't have. I think definitely one who got into mischief.
Thanks
KK

Offline AncestryPete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 November 17 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Poor lad.  He obviously didn't do too much in disciplinary terms because there are no entries of "Cells" in the right hand column of his record.  It was not unusual at all for young seamen to get  several days in the cells for being cheeky, involvement in gambling, breaking out of barracks (going out on the town without leave), etc.