Author Topic: Can anyone read any of this?  (Read 689 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Can anyone read any of this?
« on: Thursday 09 November 17 22:53 GMT (UK) »
The attached image is from the first page of the Will of Richard Ruck of Norton, Kent. I would be interested to know if anyone can help with translating/transcribing this.

The Will appears to be in Latin, and badly written in places and I am having difficulty spotting where any names are, let alone any relationships.

If anyone can make head-or-tails of this piece let me know and I will post the other images tomorrow.

Many Thanks

Matt

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone read any of this?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 November 17 00:30 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid it's not Richard Ruck of Norton, and it's not a will.

It’s the start of a Judicial Sentence relating to the will of John Rucke of the parish of Elham in the Archdeaconry of Canterbury. It concerns a dispute between Grace Rucke (his widow and executrix) and Daniel Rucke, John Rucke ...[probably other names will follow].

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone read any of this?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 November 17 00:06 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid it's not Richard Ruck of Norton, and it's not a will.

It’s the start of a Judicial Sentence relating to the will of John Rucke of the parish of Elham in the Archdeaconry of Canterbury. It concerns a dispute between Grace Rucke (his widow and executrix) and Daniel Rucke, John Rucke ...[probably other names will follow].

Hiya

Well that's interesting and does explain why I couldn't make head or tails of it! The bizarre thing is that this if filed with the Wills proved at the Archdeaconry of Canterbury [Original Copy PRC/16/186 R/4]

Having looked at my list of Will references again now I have just seen that the Will I want is filed after this one, [ref PRC/16/186 R/5] so I will have to download that again.

Many Thanks for resolving this for me.

Matt