Author Topic: Jane Summerbell of Tyne Dock South Shields, County Durham  (Read 1001 times)

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Summerbell of Tyne Dock South Shields, County Durham
« on: Friday 10 November 17 05:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters

Can anyone help me find a baptism for Jane Summerbell born June Q 1871 in South Shields?

Free BMD has 1871 June Q Summerbell Jane Hardman S S. South Shields Vol 10A page 665

But the New GRO Index that gives Mother's Maiden Surname does not find  any Jane Summerbell in June Q 1871 let alone S. Shields  Vol 10A page 665.

I am amazed at the discrepancy between the GRO and Free BMD especially as Free BMD has a record of the GRO Index on its website that states the exact information given.

Jane marrried  Arthur James H. Midgley in June Q 1897 in the Goole (Yorkshire) District. I have not been able to find the marriage.

I need to know who her parents were.

Many thanks.

Venelow
Canada

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Summerbell of Tyne Dock South Shields, County Durham
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 November 17 06:15 GMT (UK) »
She is also registered as Jackson and on the GRO as Jane Hardman Summerbell Jackson mmn Summerbell

Kay

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 November 17 06:28 GMT (UK) »
In 1875 South Shields a Hannah Summerbell married Alexander Greig and I think this is Hannah and family with Jane Summerbell in 1881 living in Widnes.   Jane is listed as their niece??   Jane is still listed as niece in 1891 when they are living in Hook, Goole, Yorkshire

Alexander Greig    27
Hannah Greig    25 b S Shields, Durham
Hannah Greig    2
Catherine Greig    
Jane Summerell    11  S Shields, Durham

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 November 17 07:42 GMT (UK) »

I am amazed at the discrepancy between the GRO and Free BMD especially as Free BMD has a record of the GRO Index on its website that states the exact information given.

They are apparently different sources so not taken from the same listing.  I have seen a post on here mentioning it though can't find it at the moment.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 November 17 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Hannah married Alexander on 17 October 1875 at St Peter's Church according to the South Tyneside online records. This Church is in Harton, South Shields.

Could Jane possibly have been an illegitimate daughter of Hannah?   
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 November 17 09:28 GMT (UK) »
She is also registered as Jackson and on the GRO as Jane Hardman Summerbell Jackson mmn Summerbell

She is registered as Jane Hardman S. Jackson on the South Tyneside Registrar's Site. Not registered as Summerbell on that site.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 November 17 11:16 GMT (UK) »

Could Jane possibly have been an illegitimate daughter of Hannah?   

I agree but Jane might also have been the daughter of Hannah's sister Mary who was also living at home in South Shields in 1871 as below (as transcribed on Anc)

William Sumcochell 56 Agent Harton Colliery
Hannah Sumcochell 53
Thomas Sumcochell 23
Mary Sumcochell 20
Hannah Sumcochell 16
Richard Sumcochell 12
William White 13 Grandson
Frances White 1 Month Grandaughter

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 November 17 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your excellent detective work!  Especially Kay 99 for finding the mangled Summerbells in the census.

Although the new GRO site is really useful it does require a surname. I would never have thought of Jackson. Also one cannot search using just the date and reference.

I see now that I should have searched Free BMD using year, quarter, district, volume and page as that will bring up  Jackson, Jane Hardman S. and Summerbell, Jane Hardman S.  Eleven births are listed so it seems she was registered under two names. 

She is listed as plain Jane Summerbell when she married Arthur Midgley at Goole in 1897. I have not found an image of the marriage record so I don't know if she gives her father's name.

Thanks again
Venelow
Canada