Author Topic: John CLAYPOLE (actually all three of them), Great Easton 1800  (Read 681 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
John CLAYPOLE (actually all three of them), Great Easton 1800
« on: Friday 10 November 17 13:14 GMT (UK) »
For a short period around 1800 in Great Easton (Easton Magna), a village in Leicestershire, there were three young men by the name of John Claypole (sometimes spelled Cleypole).
John 1(1768 - 1842) was the son of Richard Claypole and Elizabeth Hackney.
John 2(1772 - 1856) was the son of Thomas Claypole and Jane Ward
John 3(1773 - 1858) was the son of William Claypole and Mary Sharpe 
They were all first cousins.

John 1 and John 2 both married in Great Easton in 1801 to sisters: John 1 to Alice Freestone on October 21st; John 2 to Frances Freestone on June 28th.
John 3 had previously married Sarah Ashby in the village on May 16th 1796.

The puzzle which now arises, having seen the handwritten parish records from Great Easton is that both John 1 and John 2 were widowers. I am trying to ascertain who their respective first spouses were. From baptismal records it does appear that one woman was probably called Martha but I haven't found any convincing evidence for their previous marriages in either Great Easton or surrounding villages.

Given their ages it would leave a pretty narrow time window for the first marriages - most likely 1790-1800. Any help would be welcome.

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John CLAYPOLE (actually all three of them), Great Easton 1800
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 November 17 15:50 GMT (UK) »
John, who married Alice Freestone is said to be of the parish of Cottingham, Northamptonshire.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 November 17 16:01 GMT (UK) »
That John was actually baptised in Bringhurst and the family moved to Middleton (cum Cottingham) - which is where both John (Jan 29th 1842) and Alice (June 7th 1832) died.

The Freestone family were well established in Great Easton during the 18th century as was the main trunk of the Claypole family.

The only John Claypole marriage I can find in the Northamptonshire records in the date line is to Martha Palmer in 1789 in Mareham which is probably somewhat early and in the wrong part of the world.

For the record, the marriage entries for the two Johns and the Freestone sisters appear on the same page of the Great Easton parish records.

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 November 17 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Looking again at the marriage entries:

1796 - John signs his name
1801 - John = X O marries Alice
1801 - John = 'O' marries Frances and John the witness = X '

So have we got four John Cleypole/Claypole  :o
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY