Author Topic: Abbreviations in 18th century Parish baptism records  (Read 183 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
    • The Extended Craxford Family Genealogy Magazine
Abbreviations in 18th century Parish baptism records
« on: Friday 10 November 17 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Currently browsing the handwritten baprism records for Great Easton (Easton Magna), Leicestershire. On a number of entries, there is a large capital V on either side of the detail. On a few other entries there isa single capital P to the left of the detail. I can imagine the "P" could stand for private, but any thoughts what the "V" might be for?

Example:

V Sharman, Mary D of John by Ann
bapd March 13th - born March 8th  V

Thanks
Alan   
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Abbreviations in 18th century Parish baptism records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 November 17 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Looking back through a couple of pages the 'V' seems to have been written by the end/start of a year.

Not sure what it stands for though :-\
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 November 17 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Since posting, I've noticed the same abbreviations applied to certain marriage and burial records. They aren't related to beginning or end of year. Here is a marriage dated December 7th 1806!
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 November 17 15:04 GMT (UK) »
It is also the last marriage that took place in 1806. The page prior to that in the register has a letter 'V' next to the marriage in June 1805 of a John Lambert. Which was the last marriage of the year.

The next marriage occurs in March 1806

:)
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 November 17 19:20 GMT (UK) »
 Curates submitted annual returns of baptisms, marriages and burials to the diocese authority (Bishop's Transcripts). The V may have been a mark to remind the curate in charge of that parish which was the last entry in the previous year's list. There was a similar question on here during the past fortnight, I think.
As to end of year, until mid 18th century the ecclesiastical year began at the end of March. 

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 November 17 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Curates submitted annual returns of baptisms, marriages and burials to the diocese authority (Bishop's Transcripts). 
Sometimes referred to loosely as a Visitation.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 November 17 19:51 GMT (UK) »
For more information on Bishops' Transcripts see:
Discovering English Ancestors
dea.byu.edu/index.php?page=bishopstranscripts

New to archdeacons' and bishops' transcripts? A guide to archdeacons' and bishops' transcripts held at Kent ...
https://www.kent.gov.uk_data/assets/pdf_file/0017/16244/New-to-archdeacons-and-bishops-transcripts.pdf

The page on Bishops' Transcripts on the National Archives website says that clergy had to submit annual returns within a month of Easter.

Edit. Links don't work but sites can be found by googliing. Discovering English Ancestors looks like a useful guide to many aspects of FH research.

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 November 17 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Visitation sounds a reasonable explanation for the "V"