Author Topic: Walston Churchyard Cemetery Burial Question  (Read 932 times)

Offline OhioHogue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walston Churchyard Cemetery Burial Question
« on: Friday 10 November 17 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Research has shown an ancestor buried in the Walston Churchyard cemetery. I tracked down a copy of, "Monumental Inscriptions (pre-1855) in the Upper Ward of Lanarkshire by Sheila A. Scott, M.A. and produced for the Scottish Genealogy Society, 1977, Vol. II." In this volume, here is what's listed: "69 Margt Fordice w of Wm Hogg tenant Gladston-Boreland 14.7.1788 49, said Wm 28.8.1812 76".
There is also a "map" of the cemetery but neither Margaret or William is specifically listed by number on the map...there is just a dotted line presumably showing graves 66 to 72 in this line along the right side. I think the 'translation' is pretty clear, except I'm wondering if William is also buried there or if the record just make reference to Margaret's husband. I've requested a photograph of the grave from Find A Grave but haven't received any response.
1) Any opinions about whether or not William is buried there. 2) Besides Find A Grave, is there anywhere else I can request a photograph of the grave site(s). Thank you for any insight.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Walston Churchyard Cemetery Burial Question
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 November 17 09:44 GMT (UK) »
1) Any opinions about whether or not William is buried there.
It says quite clearly 'the said Wm 28.8.1812'. So yes, William is commemorated on the same stone as his wife.

2) Besides Find A Grave, is there anywhere else I can request a photograph of the grave site(s).
http://www.gravestonephotos.com/

For the avoidance of duplication of effort, there are other threads and posts about the same family
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=782272.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=782286.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=331002.msg6367836#msg6367836
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline OhioHogue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 November 17 13:48 GMT (UK) »
The reason I asked about any opinions whether or not William is buried there because I didn't know and didn't understand - here's why: It wasn't "quite clearly" written that William is buried there. I asked the question because I didn't understand about how things happen(ed) in Scotland. Here in the US, I have found (as one of many such examples) ancestors who are listed on the grave marker, but aren't buried there. Conversely, I have found records that show (or don't show) a burial in a cemetery, but the person isn't (or is) actually buried there. Further, Margaret is listed first with her maiden name and had died well before William who I have learned subsequently remarried. I asked about his burial, not whether he was "commemorated on the same stone" which he is; what's not clear is if he is actually buried there. Sorry for not understanding and thanks for the help.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 November 17 14:46 GMT (UK) »
The reason I asked about any opinions whether or not William is buried there because I didn't know and didn't understand - here's why: It wasn't "quite clearly" written that William is buried there. I asked the question because I didn't understand about how things happen(ed) in Scotland. Here in the US, I have found (as one of many such examples) ancestors who are listed on the grave marker, but aren't buried there. Conversely, I have found records that show (or don't show) a burial in a cemetery, but the person isn't (or is) actually buried there. Further, Margaret is listed first with her maiden name and had died well before William who I have learned subsequently remarried. I asked about his burial, not whether he was "commemorated on the same stone" which he is; what's not clear is if he is actually buried there. Sorry for not understanding and thanks for the help.
Apologies for any misunderstanding.

First, it is normal for a married woman to be referred to by her own maiden surname in legal documents and on gravestones and census etc, because in Scotland a married woman does not legally lose her maiden surname on marriage. This is why you generally get the mother's surname in baptism records.

As to whether or not William is actually in the grave, my choice of words was quite deliberate. The overwhelming probability is that he is buried there, but there is room for a sliver of uncertainty.

Records of burials are fairly scarce in Scotland before about the 1840s, and even later in many places. I do not know if the burial records for Walston have survived, but if they have they will either be in the parish register and therefore in the church records on Scotland's People, or, just possibly, there might be mortcloth records in the relevant kirk session minutes, which are supposed to be becoming available 'soon' on Scotland's People.

However the likelihood is that the gravestone inscription is the only record that is available of William's death.

The book of pre-1855 MIs uses a very abbreviated format.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline OhioHogue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 November 17 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you...
The clarification of the maiden name answers some questions I've had about some records I've found. I'm hoping for a photograph of the grave site before our trip next year. It would be nice to find, confirm and visit William's grave; his son James in my gggg grandfather and traveled to America in 1818; our trip is to commemorate that, visit where what ancestors we find lived and travel much of Scotland. Thanks again, your insight is very valuable.