Author Topic: A 1939 Register Question?  (Read 5251 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
A 1939 Register Question?
« on: Friday 10 November 17 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I have a question regarding the 1939 Register and am hoping that someone may be able to assist/answer it.

My gt gt aunt Emmeline Gertrude Victoria Bauer (1887-1944) is believed to have been in an institution of some description at the time that the 1939 register was compiled/taken.

My question is: Did they include institutions when the 1939 register was taken?

The question is asked as I have not been able to locate her as yet in the 1939 register. I am not asking for a look up as I am well aware that this is not allowed. I am just trying to get some idea as to why I cannot locate her.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: A 1939 Register Question?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 November 17 19:28 GMT (UK) »
No death showing for that name in 1944 - where did she die?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 November 17 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi CaroleW,

No death showing for that name in 1944 - where did she die?

Uxbridge Registration District as Bower, Emmeline G V in June Qtr 1944.

She is buried in a family grave in St Pancras Cemetery, Camden, London, Middlesex.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 November 17 19:37 GMT (UK) »
My question is: Did they include institutions when the 1939 register was taken?

Yes.

The standard research guide is here ...
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/1939-register/

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 November 17 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bookbox,

Many thanks for that, very much appreciated.

Kind regards

David

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 November 17 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Was she born 15 June 1887?
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 November 17 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guy,

She was born 15th Feb 1887.

Kind regards

David

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 November 17 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Are her parents Francis and Eleanor?
If so she is in two of the three censuses going by her second name of Gertrude.
Have you looked for a Gertrude in the1939? If I have the correct censuses for her, it seems that she went by her second name on some of the records.

Kind Regards

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 November 17 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cell,

Her parents were indeed Francis & Eleanor. She did indeed it seems go by the name of Gertrude on some records.

I have looked for her under Gertrude & any other combination of her name that I can think of as well. Having a foreign surname (German surname in this instance!) doesn't help matters as it is frequently transcribed incorrectly! ;D

My thanks for your assistance, very much appreciated.

Kind regards

David