Author Topic: A 1939 Register Question?  (Read 5265 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: A 1939 Register Question?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 12 November 17 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Girl Guide, many thanks for that, much appreciated. I will keep it on file although as Geoff-E suggests it could be the Gertrude Baxter that he mentions.

Jan, many thanks for that, I hadn't realised that they were running another PDF pilot service. The full price is £9.25 (you say £9.50) for a cert I thought or have they put it up again recently? Anyhow, that aside I have taken advantage of the cheaper option & ordered the cert on PDF & will post the results when I receive it! ;D

Guy, many thanks for that suggestion, much appreciated. To be honest, I'm not sure which it is either way! No disabilities shown on census as far as I recall, no occupation known of either. As stated before I have been unable to find any record of her between 1911 & 1944.

Geoff-E, many thanks for that, much appreciated.

Dawnsh, Many thanks for the suggestion of institution & link. Most interesting & much appreciated.

I will hopefully know a bit more or not as the case may be when I receive the certificate! So watch this space! ;D

My thanks again for assistance so far, very much appreciated.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 17 November 17 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I have today received the death certificate of my gt gt aunt Emmeline Gertrude Victoria Bauer/Bower & it makes for rather sad reading.

She passed away on 7th June 1944 at St Bernards Hospital, Norwood, Southall U D.

Rank or Profession shows her to be 'An inmate formerly a dispenser'.

Cause of death is shown as follows:

'Asphyxia due to suffocation caused by food becoming lodged in mouth oesophagus & air passages. Deceased a certified mental patient. Accidental death. PM.'

Description of informant column has: Certificate received from Harold G Broadbridge Coroner for West Middlesex. Inquest held 13th June 1944.

Although I have always wondered what happened to her & where she ended up, this has shocked me slightly, I cannot begin to imagine what she went through & what an unpleasant way to go as well.

Of course now I want to know more. Although dawnsh as it turns out was absolutely right as to where she was. The old Hanwell Asylum was known as St Bernards Hospital by the time of her death. Would I be able to find anything as regards the inquest? Any patient records etc?

Would she also be down as just initials on the 1939 register?

Many thanks in advance.

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 17 November 17 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 17 November 17 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Many thanks for that, much appreciated.

Have had a quick look at the link & have seen 2 or 3 sets of possible records already! ;D Those being either at the Greater London Record Office or the Metropolitan Archives. Looks like I'm going to be planning at least a couple of trips to London in the very near future! ;D

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 17 November 17 22:57 GMT (UK) »
The full catalogue listing can be accessed the by searching the LMA catalogue but it isn't working properly at the moment  :-\

the reference is H11/HLL

They most probably do have some records but they will be closed under the 100 year rule

Your best bet would be to contact them before you make a visit to see what can be accessed.

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 17 November 17 22:58 GMT (UK) »
the Greater London Record Office and the LMA are now one and the same.

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 17 November 17 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi dawnsh,

Many thanks for your replies, very much appreciated.

Many thanks for the info supplied in both replies, very useful indeed & much appreciated.

Kind regards

David

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 18 November 17 08:48 GMT (UK) »
With regards to Asylum Records I have posted a few pages to the following site
http://www.anguline.co.uk/SLA/Page%20205.jpg

For more pages change the last number to either 6, 7, 8 or the last two numbers to 12

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 18 November 17 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Would she also be down as just initials on the 1939 register?
I have found a couple of people in my one-name study in a Surrey asylum in 1939 with their names in full. It makes sense, as without such a record, they would not have been able to access anything official should they leave the institution.

St. Bernard's Hospital is in the Register; I found a Gertrude Manley there when searching for your relative.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.