Author Topic: A 1939 Register Question?  (Read 5253 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A 1939 Register Question?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 18 November 17 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Would she also be down as just initials on the 1939 register?
I have found a couple of people in my one-name study in a Surrey asylum in 1939 with their names in full. It makes sense, as without such a record, they would not have been able to access anything official should they leave the institution.

St. Bernard's Hospital is in the Register; I found a Gertrude Manley there when searching for your relative.
Exactly the 1939 national Registration was the database to produce Identity Cards and Ration Books neither of which would have been any use without the full name; surname and forenames (as required on the schedule).

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 18 November 17 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Saint Bernards comes under Southall MB, code BPCB

the TNA refs start 0882i from page 002, 0882j from page 002, 0882k from page 002, 0882l from page 002
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 19 November 17 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guy, andrewalston & Dawnsh,

Many thanks for your replies, very much appreciated.

Guy, Many thanks for Asylum Records Info & link, much appreciated.

andrewalston, many thanks for 1939 Register info re St Bernard's Hospital, much appreciated, I have also noted the Gertrude Manley that you found also.

Dawnsh, many thanks for St Bernard's 1939 reference info, much appreciated.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 06 January 23 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

A short update to the story of my gt gt aunt Emmeline Gertrude Victoria Bauer/Bower.

With the recent release of the 1921 Census, I was eventually able to locate her, under just her initials E G V B and she was in the Hanwell Mental Hospital, Southall, which became St Bernard's Hospital in 1937. So its now known that she was in the hospital for at least 23 years until her death there in 1944.

The 1921 census also showed her to be an inmate and occupation (probably former) as that of dispenser, both a match for the details upon her death certificate.

This suggests almost certainly that she should therefore be showing at the hospital in 1939. I shall have to comb through the 1939 register again, once more using the TNA references kindly posted by dawnsh to see if I can find her!

This new information also helps to give a time frame for her going into the hospital, namely sometime between 1911 & 1921.

As ever with family history, more questions than answers!  ;D

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 06 January 23 20:10 GMT (UK) »
If you are using Ancestry she is Gertrude B BOWLER born 1887, Dispenser.  Image shows Gertrude V BOWER.

Debra  :)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 09 January 23 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debra,

Very many thanks indeed for your reply, much appreciated.

Brilliant! Many thanks for finding that on Ancestry, much appreciated.

Unfortunately I don't have access to Ancestry at the moment! However, using the info that you have provided in your post, I have managed to locate her at last on FindMyPast! She is under Gertrude K BOWEN born 1887, an inmate, Dispenser. Image clearly shows Gertrude V Bower as you found.

My grateful thanks again, not being able to locate her in 1939 had been bugging me for some considerable time!

Kind regards

David