Author Topic: A 1939 Register Question?  (Read 5261 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A 1939 Register Question?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 November 17 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Did she live in Sydney Street, Chelsea in 1922-1925 as Gertrude Victoria Bowyer?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 November 17 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

The honest answer is I have absolutely no idea whatsoever where she would be in 1922-1925, or at any time after 1911 until her death in 1944 for that matter.

She has always been a bit of a mystery. For example her mother's will dated 23rd Feb 1931 (she died just over 2 months later) states:

"the sum of seven hundred pounds upon trust to invest the same and to apply the net annual income from time to time arising therefrom for the maintenance and benefit of my daughter Gertrude during her life". It further adds that after the death of Gertrude the same income should be used to pay for the funeral expenses. The money was to be invested & looked after by my great grandfather & my other gt gt aunt.

Like I say, rather strange and I haven't been able to determine what that was all about in the will or what she was doing/where she was between 1911 & 1944.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 November 17 00:06 GMT (UK) »
From that will David, it does rather sound as if she needed to be taken care of, doesn't it and her mother wasn't expecting her to marry.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 November 17 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,

From that will David, it does rather sound as if she needed to be taken care of, doesn't it and her mother wasn't expecting her to marry.

Yes, that's exactly the way I read it as well!

I have wondered for quite some while now, whether getting gt gt aunts 1944 death cert, might not be the next thing to do. Then see if that can help to track back from there if that makes sense!? ;D By that I mean that if she perhaps died in an institution then that would perhaps hopefully give a starting point to searching institutional records if any exist. Of course I am aware that with these types of records they are quite often closed for a certain number of years. Still the death cert might give a start!

Kind rergards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 November 17 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Check out Gertrude Barter who has the same dob as you gg aunt.  Living in Reading, Berks.

Surname misheard or incorrectly deciphered perhaps?
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 November 17 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Might be worth getting the certificate now while the GRO are still doing their on line service for £6 rather than the usual paper versions of £9.50.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 11 November 17 07:57 GMT (UK) »

I think you are reading too much into the will, to me it is wording that commonly used when a parent is ensuring if a daughter gets married her husband does not tke control or waste the money.

Do any of the census entries show any disability?
Could she have worked in an institution?

Cheers
Guy

PS don't forget a school is an institution, the term was commonly used for schools by older generations. If this has been passed down through the family the meaning could have become confused.
G
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 11 November 17 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Check out Gertrude Barter who has the same dob as you gg aunt.  Living in Reading, Berks.

I think that may be Gertrude BAXTER, died 1966 aged 79.  :-\
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 11 November 17 10:03 GMT (UK) »
If she was in an institution and her death was registered in Uxbridge, she 'may' have been at Hanwell

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanwell_Asylum

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea