Author Topic: FREDERICK AUGUSTUS FRASER men, I can not find! Help!  (Read 3095 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FREDERICK AUGUSTUS FRASER men, I can not find! Help!
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Always worth having look at the newspaper archive! There would appear to be some articles about the death of Charles Fraser in 1882.He was in the employment of the North British Railway Company  at Leith Walk Station as a shunter. " The deceased was about 26 years of age and had only been on duty at Leith Walk Station for a few days".He was standing on a wagon's buffer and was then run over.

When  you look at his death cert again it will probably have an RCE (Register of Corrected Entries) attached to it which may provide details of the accident.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Another article

Highland Sentinel 14 Dec 1861

Scottish Legal Burial and Loan Society

Established in1852

Agent for Inverness Frederick Augustus Fraser Office 37Baron Taylor's Lane

"As F. A. F. has been appointed Agent for this Town and vicinity for the above Society,he desires respectfully to announce to his numerous friends and acquaintances that he will be ready at all times to Enrol Members, and as he can speak both English and Gaelic, he feels confident, by the numbers that have already joined, that the Inverness Branch will prove the most promising of the above far-famed and much respected Association.
All legal claims settled within twelve hours of application. F. A. F.
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline MissJulie76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 16 November 17 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

Many thanks for these wonderful replies!

Extremely interesting!  I know nothing of looking up newspaper articles.....yet!

Just been reading out some of these replies to my mum! :)

Thank you once again!  Really must get some time this weekend to sit down and sort all of this out!

MJ x

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 November 17 06:33 GMT (UK) »
How amazing!  ;D  ;D  And You appear to have found a new cousin, MissJulie  ;D
Great research everyone, and William popping in from the other topic - such a wonderful tie up, having the marriage details to hand of FAF Jnr to Fanny!  With all of that, it looks like FAF Jnr is now found and accounted for at the time of all UK Census.

He would likely be in Malta in 1871 with the 64th Reg (since 1867), before  going to Limerick in 1872.
http://usacac.army.mil/CAC2/CGSC/CARL/nafziger/872CAA.pdf
Unless he was with the Depot in Aldershot in 1871, but can't see him there?

He would likely be in Templemore 1881 with the 64th Reg.
http://usacac.army.mil/CAC2/CGSC/CARL/nafziger/881DAA.pdf
Unless he was with the Depot in Lichfield Staffs, but can't see him there?

Discharged 22 May 1883. His Army record, Regimental Number #1600,  should indicate if he was home or abroad 1871 & 1881.

It looks like he was married 3 times, possibly at least once bigamously if the first wife Margaret wasn't deceased before he married Flora?  So if that were that case, would that  mean Flora  herself wasn't a bigamist when marrying Robert Montgomery...

Is is possible that his father FAF Snr, was married twice also? These marriages on Scotlands People Church records:
Frederick Augustus FRASER & Elizabeth NICOL , married 10 Aug 1839, Marykirk, Kincardineshire
Frederick Augustus FRASER & Catherine FALKNER, married 15 Aug 1841, Abbotshall, Fife

Re:  Simon FRASER and Mary USHER
I'm guessing the Reverend Simon FRASER with a wife named Mary, who died in 1845 in Kilmorack, is the one you've now dismissed as yours?  Photo of his headstone and transcription of Epitaph, here:  https://billiongraves.com/grave/Simon-Fraser/16982691

Your Simon and Mary  (I take it their names are known from the 1866 death record of their son FAF Snr?) appear to be as follows (I realise you probably have some/all of this but posting for clarity  ;D) :

1841: Craigdo, Kilmorack, Inverness
https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
Simon FRASER, 60, Pensioner, b Inverness
Mary FRASER 55, b Ireland
Jas FRASER 20, Male Lab, b Inverness
Jas McLAUCHLAN 60, Traveller, b Ireland

1851: Craigdhu, Kilmorack, Inverness
https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
Head: Mary FRASER 78, wid, Pauper soldiers (infantry) wife, b Ireland
Dau: Mary FRASER 37, unm, b Ardersier, Inverness (abt 1814)

1861: Private House, Kilmorack, Inverness
Head: Mary FRASER 80, Pauper Chelsea Pensioner's Wife, b Ireland
Dau: Mary FRASER 45, Domestic Servant, b Fort George, Inverness (abt 1816)

1871: Craigdlen, Kilmorack, Inverness, their daughter, with her neice, your FAF Jnr's daughter:
Head: Mary FRASER 60, General Servant, b Ardersier
Niece: Lucy FRASER 7, Scholar, b Inverness
Lodger: Helen SINCLAIR 24, General Servant, b NK
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYGT-NV7

1881: Craigdhes, Kilmorack, Inverness, their daughter:
Head: Mary FRASER, 67, b Fort George (G), Invss Shire

1891: Er Craigdlm, Kilmorack, Inverness, their daughter
Head: Mary FRASER 81, b Ardersier

BIRTH 1812: Scotlands People possibly of the daughter Mary.
Mary FRASER, bp 26 Jan 1812, Ardersier
Parents: Simon FRASER and Mary

BAPTISMS of children to Simon FRASER and Mary USHER, in Ardersier
Elizabeth FRASER, bp 5 Dec 1813
Anna Maria Mair FRASER bp 25 Feb 1816
James FRASER bp 23 July 1817

The records of any of those baptisms may state a regiment of the father? Thereby advancing the search for his origins.

And Mary USHER's death in 1869, may state her parent's names  - potentially helpful for research in Ireland.

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)