Author Topic: Jamaican Mystery  (Read 763 times)

Offline Simon Mead

• RootsChat Member
  • Josiah and Ann MEAD. Long Marston, Herts c1874
    • View Profile
Jamaican Mystery
« on: Saturday 11 November 17 03:37 GMT (UK) »
I recently took an Ancestry DNA test and one of my matches, apparently through the WRIGHT line, was with a cousin in Jamaica. She knows precious little about her ancestry and asked me if I might be able to offer any help. What I discovered made me realise that I am totally out of my comfort zone so I thought I'd see if anyone here were able to help or give any advice.
I did come across the http://www.jamaicanfamilysearch.com/index.htm site which appears to be very comprehensive but my lack of knowledge of Jamaican history and geography means that I was very soon lost.
If I lay out the few facts that I have then perhaps someone will be able to suggest a line of research.
My cousin is a great granddaughter of John WRIGHT who lived in Albert Town, which is in the hills (elevation 2,150ft)  of the southern part of the parish of Trelawny in Jamaica.
The only actual evidence of his name is on the 1907 marriage registration of his son, Daniel Robert Wright who was born in Albert Town in 1867., when John Wright was stated to be Daniel’s father, which was a requirement.
There is also a reference to him in a book by Ashton WRIGHT published in 1994 which states that-

“His (Daniel’s)  father, an Englishman, came to Jamaica to participate in the construction of the Freeman’s Hall Sugar Estate in Upper (Southern) Trelawny. Those who knew my grandfather described him as a bit of a ‘roughneck’, who married the most attractive and cultured black young lady in the community”.

Daniel also had 3 brothers, William Joshua Wright, born in 1869, Joseph Wright and John Wright.

And that's all that is known.

There is John WRIGHT in my direct line who might fill the bill, there is one born in 1816 (which would have made him 51 when Daniel was born) who died in Michigan, USA in 1882 but that's the only 'oddity'.

I'd be grateful for any ideas.

Simon
Researching
WRIGHT of Buckinghamshire
HALL of Froxfield, Hampshire
MEAD of Long Marston, Hertfordshire
MUDD of Yorkshire/Lancashire
SCHMITT of London
JULIUS of Nußbaum, Bad Kreuznach, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
ENGEL of Nußbaum, Bad Kreuznach, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
PHILLIPS of Kent
GRANT of Dundee
PUNTER of Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jamaican Mystery
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 November 17 14:56 GMT (UK) »
First I would look at all the various records in Jamaica to pin together a list of possible relatives and their relationships/ages.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVSP-S2CM
 - for example, who is "Ada M Wright" who witnessed David's marriage? Sister, mother?

Do you have any more dates for the three brothers - e.g. marriage, death?

Also, I would put together a timeline for any John Wrights in your family who might be the one you're looking for - is it possible for John b. 1816 d. 1882 Michigan to have been in Jamaica in the 1860s?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Simon Mead

• RootsChat Member
  • Josiah and Ann MEAD. Long Marston, Herts c1874
    • View Profile
Re: Jamaican Mystery
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 November 17 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. I'll let them know.
No, I have no more information, no more dates re the brothers.
Researching
WRIGHT of Buckinghamshire
HALL of Froxfield, Hampshire
MEAD of Long Marston, Hertfordshire
MUDD of Yorkshire/Lancashire
SCHMITT of London
JULIUS of Nußbaum, Bad Kreuznach, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
ENGEL of Nußbaum, Bad Kreuznach, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
PHILLIPS of Kent
GRANT of Dundee
PUNTER of Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire