Author Topic: Lord Carrington ownership of Mills in Yorkshire in 1840/50's  (Read 3640 times)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lord Carrington ownership of Mills in Yorkshire in 1840/50's
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 November 17 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi mazi,  Thanks for your help.  You mention Lord Carrington having estates elsewhere & that it may have been the 2nd Lord Carrington.  Can I ask where you found this information?  I would need to verify this information for my research.
Would the 2nd Lord's date match up with who I am researching viz. 1840/50's.   I know Joseph was sent out to buy the top quality wool from Australia.  Thanks again

Google.    Baron carrington 2.     Wiki has that information, yes the dates are a match

Mike

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 November 17 11:47 GMT (UK) »
The British peerage is confusing, what with Dukes and Earls and Viscounts  and lords but this is the only titled Carrington I can find at that time.

He is not particularly famous in history so the fact that his name is mentioned, to my mind makes it more likely to be correct.

He may of course have had a business interest in importing wool and immediately selling it on, not using it to supply his own spinning mill.  The trade was huge and very profitable, even if your ship sunk the cargo was still insured,  in fact deliberately sinking old ships with fully insured cargo was almost a profitable business.

Mike

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 November 17 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello,  Can anyone help please?  I am trying to find information on Lord Carrington sending a Joseph Horsfall to Australia to buy wool for his woollen mill/s.  I was told that a few of the ships carrying wool sunk. Joseph later went on to become Mayor of MacDonald Town, Sydney.
I need to know who was. Lord Carrington?  Where can I find out about ships sinking? Does anyone know where to find a photo of him as mayor?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you tell us where this info comes from please. It might make it easier to find any relevant records

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 November 17 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi iwccc

The only information I can find involving Horsfall and Carrington is Edith Horsfall of NSW who married Rupert, 4th Baron Carrington, (a son of the 2nd Lord Carrington by his second wife). Her father was John S Horsfall who died in 1916 in Victoria. He was involved in the wool business and also had sheep farms. He was originally from Yorkshire.

What information do you have about Joseph Horsfall? Who did he marry?

Venelow
Canada

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi sallyyorks,  The information I have about Joseph Horsfall and Lord Carrington comes from oral family....pass it down history.  I know this is not an accurate way to deal with family history but I want to verify or prove wrong the family 'pass it down information'.
I do have some information with records to prove it but can't find the connection with Lord Carrington and wool buying.....or for that matter the story about two ships being sunk coming round the Cape with wool on board. 
Joseph married Mary Clissold and they had 10 children.  Joseph was born 24th March, 1830 in Yorkshire according to the family bible.  He died 3rd June, 1885 in Penrith, Australia.  I have been told that he was sent to Australia in the 1850's to buy wool for Lord Carrington (who we were told owned spinning mills in Yorkshire). Joseph took his family back to England for a visit and then returned to Australia.  He worked as a wool sorter, became Mayor of MacDonald Town (Sydney ) in 1880's, owned a Tannery etc.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks venelow,  Yes I saw the entry about an Edith Horsfall marrying Rupert 4th Baron Carrington also.  I don't recognise this name or her father John S. Horsfall who died in 1916 in Victoria.  I believe there are lots of Horsfalls in Yorkshire and have also been told that one side of the river is cotton mills and the other side there are woollen mills - don't know if this is right but it is what I have been told.  Maybe I will find Edith and her father John later in my search as distant relatives.
Thanks for your help.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Mazi,  Thanks for your help.  Yes following peerage is confusing, especially for us in Australia who are not very familiar with how it all works.  I have taken on board your suggestions and will try to follow up.  Do you know his christian name? And, where would I find out more about him/his life/family etc.?  Would there be anywhere listing his occupation,business interests etc.?  Would it be that he was only made a Lord in his recent history or does his lineage go back further than this?  Your help is much appreciated.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 11:57 GMT (UK) »
This birth on Familysearch matches your family history

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01l1z/.

I doubt you will find much about Lord carrington buisiness interests, they would likely be carried out by his agent.

He was the second baron, inherited the title from his father.

Mike

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 12:40 GMT (UK) »
This birth on Familysearch matches your family history

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01l1z/.

I doubt you will find much about Lord carrington buisiness interests, they would likely be carried out by his agent.

He was the second baron, inherited the title from his father.

Mike

The Brighouse/Elland 'Independent' Chapel record suggest this Horsfall family were probably from the Halifax/Calderdale area