Author Topic: Can anybody identify the uniform from these two photo's below? Same person  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Teletran

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anybody identify the uniform from these two photo's below? Same person
« on: Saturday 11 November 17 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello, can anybody identify the uniforms from the photos attached?  It is my great-grandfather, I am assuming one is first world war by the cap but it is a guess to say the least. The other picture appears to be earlier but I am really without a clue. Any information would be fantastic to know.  Kind regards and many thanks, Stephen.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can anybody identify the uniform from these two photo's below? Same person
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 November 17 15:44 GMT (UK) »
The second photo is the City Imperial Volunteers in South Africa during the Boer War.

http://www.britishmedals.us/kevin/other/mumford.html

The first photo could be the Cape Town Highlanders Regiment or another South African Scottish linked unit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Town_Highlanders_Regiment
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 November 17 16:19 GMT (UK) »
While I can't give an answer I would venture to disagree with the Cape Town Highlanders suggestion.  The first photo has the black buttons with a bugle of a Rifle/Light Infantry regiment.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Teletran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 November 17 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Interesting information chaps.  Looking at the family history, Thomas (chap in the photo) and his parents and great grandparents appear to have lived in the London and South east area, I cannot see where the South African element comes into it?

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 November 17 16:51 GMT (UK) »
I know very little about military history, but I do know that young Englishmen travelled to South Africa to fight in the 2nd Boer War - I have a family member born and bred in Essex who fought and died in SA.

Your man - have you found him on the 1901 census? 

Amended:  Should have said that my family member was NOT a member of the Armed Forces prior to his service in SA.  He was a Grocer  ;D
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 November 17 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Interesting information chaps.  Looking at the family history, Thomas (chap in the photo) and his parents and great grandparents appear to have lived in the London and South east area, I cannot see where the South African element comes into it?

CIV full title is the City of London Imperial Volunteers, so Thomas would have joined the CIV in London and then been sent out to South Africa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_London_Imperial_Volunteers

My tentative suggestion of the Cape Town Highlanders was based on the collar insignia resembling a motif on their regimental badge, as MaxD has pointed out this does not fit with the tunic buttons. So there may be no South African connection for the first photo.
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Teletran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 November 17 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Replying to BumbleB, yes he does appear on the 1901 census.  Would the  "black buttons with a bugle of a Rifle/Light Infantry regiment" imply a British unit?

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 November 17 18:58 GMT (UK) »
It is certainly the hall mark of British rifle and /or Light Infantry regiments. 

The phot was taken in London.  London had a multitude of Rifle Volunteer units around the turn of the century, members of many of which would have volunteered for full time service in the Boer War in the CIV among others.  Can't find it now but I have seen a set of full colour plates of uniforms of many of the units.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 November 17 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

The collar badge in first photo shows a mailec fist holding a spear or lightning bolt. That is  part of the Honourable Artillery Coy badge although theirs is winged.

A large number of them served in SA with a variety of units but most were with the CIV. I can find no reference to them having LI buttons though. But could be a line of search.

John915

Added, looking at their history they originally had several types of coy. Including light infantry so could be that some were sent in this role to SA hence the buttons.
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)